Great Poplar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Poplar

Had to make a quick run to Lowe's for a dowel and found this on the shelf waiting for me. Don't think I have seen this many shades in one piece. Could not find the book match.
    1/4 x 3 x 24
    Last edited by Jim McDonald; 07-19-2018, 06:34 AM. Reason: added "find".
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

The colors look great! Should make some great intarsia.

I have been considering post a photo of some silver maple that I cut from a short log. It has bluish grays to whites to slight yellows. My daughter had a silver maple cut down in mid May when it was full of sap. The saps didn't take long for the sap to "sour" (forget the term that speaks of sap causing the whitish wood to gray) to change the colors and make several hues within it. I picked up about 7 - two ft long logs about 12" - 14" in diameter and sealed the ends. It is making some nice boards with lots of hues.
    Hank Lee
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

That is sure a beautiful piece of Poplar.
      Denny
      ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Would make nice desert sky picture.

Comment

Nice coloring. I like poplar for all the different colors it has. Of course, the green heartwood is my goto for leaves, grass, bushes. I'm constantly scouring the local Lowes' & HD for good poplar colors.
          Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

I posted this picture a while back of a board Bruce got from the sawmill he volunteers at. He called it rainbow poplar. I use a lot of poplar for my puzzles. I like working with it.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by will8989; 07-22-2018, 09:55 PM.
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Beautiful colors it is a shame that it doesn't stay that way.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I’ve had it for over a year and still looks the same. Of course it is out of direct sunlight.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Even artificial light can effect the coloring though sun light is the worst. It is the UV rays that cause the color change. Oxidation only plays a minor part.
                  Scott
                  Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X