BLUE PINE at Lowes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLUE PINE at Lowes

I was walking through my local Lowes and to my delight I saw a section of blue pine. It was in the section where trim and siding wood was. They had 1x4, 1x6, and some tongue and groove. I should have taken a picture. A 1x4x8 was under $5.00. Now the wood had lots of worm holes but was still usable. It was much nicer wood then I have gotten online.

Planning to go back this week to stock up. Be sure to check you local Lowes.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Every place I go, I am on the lookout for blue time and green poplar.

Comment

Just to help with your searching if your local store has it then they call it Blue Stain Pine. Here is the description off the Lowes website:
      "This is a rare and beautiful blue stain board made from Ponderosa Pine. This product has a blue-tinted stain with accenting beetle holes that make for a unique look with a rustic charm."
      Scott

Comment

Nope - none of the Lowes within 50 miles of me carries it.
        Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

They have had some at my local Lowes for a little while now, at least a month or more. I have looked at it once or twice but most of what they have had that I noticed at least was the tongue and groove only. So I didn't bother getting any. However, unlike Scott, when I looked at what my Lowes had, I thought that what I have gotten online was better then my Lowes. I have gotten two different orders from The Handsome Woodman site I believe and both were very nice pieces of blue pine each time. Course shipping from the West Coast is not ideal either! Will check out Lowes more closely next time I am in there and see what they have.
          Melanie from East TN

Comment

Beetles are what cause the pine to turn blue. "Beetle killed pine" is the local name for the wood..
            ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

I have gotten mine from a Reload Company in Nicholasville, KY. It typically is a culled product for them. Most builders, (their main customer) won't accept it, much to my delight.
              Tracy

Nicholasville, KY
              ​Excalibur 21"
              www.sawdustgallery.com

Comment

Hmmmmm - When I said none of the stores within 50 miles of me carried it, I was doing a store by store web search. Today, I decided to take a look at a store in Scott's area to see how they were listing it. The web search showed they weren't listing it - interesting. So, I looked at the store in Melanie's area - they said they weren't listing it - interestinger & interestinger.

So - knowing that what is on the internet is always true - Right I guess I'll have to take a ride and see for myself.

My local store is now a #1 Pine, Red Oak, and Poplar store. I have gotten some really nice green poplar from it. For awhile they were carrying nice white Aspen. But, after the four 8-ft boards I had ran out, and I went to get more - I found that, they had quit selling it because "it just wasn't selling".

Sometimes, I think they bring wood in to see how it goes. If some bean counter doesn't think the store is profitable enough, they start cutting stock.
                Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Originally posted by tgiro01 View Post
                  Hmmmmm - When I said none of the stores within 50 miles of me carried it, I was doing a store by store web search. Today, I decided to take a look at a store in Scott's area to see how they were listing it. The web search showed they weren't listing it - interesting. So, I looked at the store in Melanie's area - they said they weren't listing it - interestinger & interestinger.

So - knowing that what is on the internet is always true - Right I guess I'll have to take a ride and see for myself.

My local store is now a #1 Pine, Red Oak, and Poplar store. I have gotten some really nice green poplar from it. For awhile they were carrying nice white Aspen. But, after the four 8-ft boards I had ran out, and I went to get more - I found that, they had quit selling it because "it just wasn't selling".

Sometimes, I think they bring wood in to see how it goes. If some bean counter doesn't think the store is profitable enough, they start cutting stock.
                  Just checked my store ( Roanoke Rapids) online and they show 68 pieces of the 1x4
                  and 36 pieces of the 1x6x8.
                  Scott

Comment

1x6 https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Stain-...ank/1000248347

1x4 https://www.lowes.com/pd/Common-1-in...ard/1000299185
                    Scott

Comment

My local Lowes which I shop very frequently had some very nice poplar boards, one about 10 or 12" wide about 4'long, this board had very nice grain and very green. I would love to buy it but very expensive. It also had a little bit of black in it. I assume the black was solid . dan

Comment

I was at the Lowes in Hagerstown. MD, (about 12 miles south of home), to check some poplar heartwood. While I was there I stopped at the lumber desk and asked about Blue Stained Pine. I got the blank stares in response. One guy asked me to describe it.

I said it was Pine that had been hit by a bug and had grey stains through it. He said - "Oh, yeah, we got that" and led me right to it.

At least I found a couple of pieces of nice dark green poplar heartwood.
                        Attached Files
                        Tony

Comment

Yes Tony that's what I thought I saw at Lowes a couple of weeks back. Not actually Blue Pine, but stained pine which was "blue". This was craft boards also. Price too high for what it was.

That being said there might be true "Beetle Killed Pine" that Scott linked to above, but I didn't see it at my store...yet.

Karl
                          Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

The proof is in the picture. Here are a few boards I scored from my local Lowes. Yes my Lowes also had the pre painted / pre stained pine. But this is a real McCoy. Total cost was under $40.

I have purchased Blue Pine from the Handsome Woodman. I have paid more there for a single piece and that does not include shipping.

Lowes Blue Pine 1.jpgLowes Blue Pine 2.jpg
                            Scott

Comment

Well ours had neither. In fact their regular pine was kind of crappy. It’s within walking distance so I can just walk down to check in a few days. If they have it, I’ll call Bruce to come pick me up. If they don’t, I will just get a nice 2 mile walk in.
                              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• marshall
                                Reply to Believe Plaques
                                marshall
                                No it's not my pattern and off hand I forgot who give it too me , would have to pull it back up on the PC to find out who it was that gave it too me . I always tell people that the line on the cross may not be cut perfect , but the man that was crucified on the cross was perfect in every way . Tha...
                                Today, 06:41 PM
                              • hotshot
                                Reply to Something new, that is not a Coin . . . per se
                                hotshot
                                It is in the garage. Is that enough or do I need to have the door cracked/open? My smell is pretty decent, and there is not much of a smell. I'm running at a very very low amps/volts, so there are no bubbles from the gassing, but I'm a rookie, so I could be killing myself without knowing it. I'm actively...
                                Today, 05:23 PM
                              • Maisie
                                Blade too close to guard - tension problems
                                Maisie
                                Hi, I've been scroll sawing since 2015, so not really a newbie, but am not sure where to post this - Over the last month I've been having problems with new blades stretching to almost the edge of the guard when I cut, whereas the blade used to always be in the middle of the guard and cut really fast,...
                                Today, 04:50 PM
                              • handibunny
                                Reply to Super max sander ?
                                handibunny
                                Rick, SuperMax was sold to Laguna. Not sure who is running the show now. You might call SupeMax directly and see if you can get more info. On the other hand, it’s a tool that’s well worth the wait.

Gary, what precursor to the SuperMax?
                                Today, 04:07 PM
                              • theframer
                                Reply to Super max sander ?
                                theframer
                                I ordered one with the tables from Woodcraft in Connecticut on February 14. They asked for a $100.00 dollar deposit which I was more than happy to pay. The tool has yet to be delivered and in fact I just got off the phone with the Woodcraft office and I was told that the sale of Supermax to Laguna...
                                Today, 04:01 PM
                              Working...
                              X