Fixing warp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing warp

If you put a piece of warped wood into a steam chamber and then put it into a press until cool and dry would would take take out the warp?

Have no idea. We have tried everything to get a bad warp out. Ended up in the fire pit.
    Last edited by will8989; 03-09-2018, 10:12 PM.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

It "could," but more than likely it would do better if left in the press until humidity is down to 5 to 7%. Even then, when introduced to high humidity again, it might warp again. But It depends on what you want to do with it. Nail, glue or screw into place after flattening and drying, yes. Trying to keep it as a "shelf" it will more than likely warp again.

That said, thin veneer like wood, 1/4" and less will usually hold its shape, or glued to a stabilized medium (plywood). If left in a press for a year and in the attic, it might hold.

As Betty said, it is firewood - unless it is cut into small sections.
      Hank Lee
      Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

I have never had luck with a twisted warp. Cup warp is caused by one side of a board drying faster than the other, I have taken a slightly warped board and laid it in the grass, cupped side down. That has straightened it enough to run through a planer.

For a board with a twisted warp, the only thing I've been able to do is cut into short pieces and feed it through a planer.
        Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

I've tried various methods with little success. Warped wood does have advantages---
          Cut into smaller pieces like for intarsia. And warped wood can make great abstract pieces.
          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I have not had any real success in permanently fixing warp or twist. Sure can fix temporarily but over time it will go back. Once straightened it is best to cut into small pieces and use immediately. Small pieces will warp and twist but it will probably be so slightly it will make no difference.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

So I guess the answer to my question is no one has tried a steam chamber.

Comment

No but we did wet wood, clamped flat, left outside to air dry, 2 days I think, took clamps off and within one day back to twist. Great firewood.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by Trackman View Post
                  I know a guy who bends wood in a chamber. He makes boats. Once the wood comes out of the chamber he uses it. The point being it allowed to just sit it will go back to the original shape.
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Trackman View Post
                    I would certainly be curious to hear the results if you tried it and gave the outcome. I don't have a steam chamber but thought of making one on several occasions. Not for that purpose though.

Hank Lee
                    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

I can pretty well guarantee a person building boats, does not use warped wood. They would be very selective of their wood and looking for very straight grain, nice wood.
                      AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

I have done some steam bending, back when I was 15 helping a neighbor build double ended rowboats with steamed ribs. He was very careful with wood selection. Recently ( a couple of years ago) I steamed some Oak to make ornament stands. The wood will follow its natural twist if it is not permanently held straight. If it is a nice piece of wood I would cut it into smaller pieces and use for other projects. DSCN3028 (382 x 600).jpg
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

And on the flip side. Paul, the guy who builds the wagons at the sawmill. When he makes the wagon wheels, he throws the wood he is using for the wheels into the pond by the sawmill. Pulls it out a few days later, makes the wheels, clamps and lets dry for a week or so. Perfect wheels every time.
                          Betty

Comment

Originally posted by Scrappile View Post
                            I can pretty well guarantee a person building boats, does not use warped wood. They would be very selective of their wood and looking for very straight grain, nice wood.
                            No he uses straight wood and bends it to make the ribs.
                            Scott

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• leehljp
                              Ladder Legs
                              leehljp
                              I subscribe to a daily email from "homemade tools" and a few are hilarious, and some are ingenious. Here is an amusing one:
                              http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...-18#post115897

Enjoy.
                              Today, 07:06 PM
                            • Scrappile
                              Reply to Elk Meadow
                              Scrappile
                              Well done. Elk, are one of the most beautiful animals in North America as far as I am concerned.
                              Today, 01:04 PM
                            • Sandy Oaks
                              Reply to Pricing
                              Sandy Oaks
                              Lee, we have a pen turner displayed at ArtCrafters. Many of the pens are $25 and we sell maybe 4 - 5 each month. I am sure at a place like Knoxville he could more than double the price....
                              Today, 09:34 AM
                            • Rolf
                              Reply to 1st cabinet UP!!!!
                              Rolf
                              We could not do that in our kitchen the ceiling and walls are way too crooked. So to fool the eye some of our cabinets go all of the way up with trim molding the others are lower also with crown molding. There is no continuous line to catch the eye.
                              Today, 08:34 AM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to 1st cabinet UP!!!!
                              will8989
                              WHAT? We’re taking them down? Bruce decided he should have put them flush with the ceiling so we’re taking them down and raising them 1/2”!!! Do you know how heavy these are? He decided he wanted as narrow as possible, or no, molding at the top at all. And yes, Scott they have stuff in them.😲😲...
                              Today, 08:26 AM
                            Working...
                            X