Lots of Free wood lately.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of Free wood lately.

We were yard saleing a couple of weeks ago and a guy walks up to me and asks "are the woodmeister?" That makes all of ornaments and stuff. Well it ends up he is the caretaker for a local land trust that I donated an Intarsia piece to last year. It seems that a relative of one of the board passed away and they donated a huge amount of assorted woods. I picked up lots of basswood, walnut, ambrosia maple, cherry etc. all less than 3' long (my lack of space) he has the bigger stuff stored in a barn if I need more. Yesterday my wife came back from walking the dog and said there was a stack of wood at the curb around the corner with the ends sealed. Had a look and brought home a bunch of 2x4 mahogany.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

WOW!!! You deserve all of it.
    ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

Free wood is the best, isn't it? That's how I can keep my prices down.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Free is better then good. It is great.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Love the free wood, especially the hard to come by species. We have had several storms in the past few months in our area and I have picked up oak, maple, walnut, elm, red cedar and another in logs about 3 to 4 ft long and 12 to 16 inches in diameter. I sealed them and waiting on the to dry.
          Hank Lee
          Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by leehljp View Post
            Love the free wood, especially the hard to come by species. We have had several storms in the past few months in our area and I have picked up oak, maple, walnut, elm, red cedar and another in logs about 3 to 4 ft long and 12 to 16 inches in diameter. I sealed them and waiting on the to dry.
            Lee depending on where you live it can take up to a year for 1" rough cut boards to air dry. If your plan is to make some scroll saw projects out of those logs get them milled really soon.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Scroller View Post

Lee depending on where you live it can take up to a year for 1" rough cut boards to air dry. If your plan is to make some scroll saw projects out of those logs get them milled really soon.
              I'm still working on the AC/heated portion of my shop for my lathes, scroll saw and a few other detail tools. After I finish that, I will make a bunch of the wood into bowl blanks and cut some into 5/4 boards and sticker them in the attic. I noticed one log (hackberry, whitish in color) that I forgot to seal and it started checking. I lost about 4 inches on both ends, but I could tolerate it. I have lots of different woods from when my dad made wood pallets for shipping companies in the Memphis area in the 70's- mid 90's. I grew up around wood and near saw mills. I love the smell of fresh cut or turned wood.
              Hank Lee
              Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• handibunny
                Reply to Drum sander tool
                handibunny
                Just saw an interview about the new SuperMax 16-32 on Facebook, and it was mentioned that the new folding infeed and outfeed tables are available for the 19-38. Price is about $149.
                Today, 03:30 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Woodpeckers
                will8989
                Yes the email said one and done. Bruce rates their tools with Inca.
                Today, 02:33 PM
              • bstark
                Reply to Scrapwood Bowl
                bstark
                Brilliant! I love it. I have tons of scrap wood that I just can't part with... and I have been pondering what I should do with it. Some of the pieces can be used with intarsia, but honestly, I am running out of storage for it. This is a great idea that I will be happy to borrow. =) Nice work.
                Today, 11:01 AM
              • Stoney
                Reply to This doesn't happen often in the shop
                Stoney
                Yeah blade clamps falling on the floor huh? And I thought that only happened with a Hegner. I couldn't believe it the first time it happened to me with my Hegner. I finally got tired of looking for the bottom clamp when it left the scene and decided to do something about it.. I made a combination...
                Today, 10:47 AM
              • BobD
                Reply to Drum sander tool
                BobD
                (facebook algorithms not allowing me to find the page right now... doh.) If the new one is the same one I receive a press release about (the quick adjustment lever, and folding infeed/outfeed tables), I've reached out to them asking if these can be retrofit onto older sanders...

Bob
                Today, 10:04 AM
              Working...
              X