Sweet Gum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Gum

Bruce came home from the sawmill with 3 boards approx 4' x 1' x 1 1/2". Never worked with it. Any hints appreciated.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

You can find out more
    about this wood at The Wood Database on line.

Comment

I know but I want to know if anyone has worked with it.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I have not used it myself but found this article on it:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/material...s-3/sweet-gum/
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I had some gum wood a few years ago. It is about the same as cutting poplar. The grain patterns in it are gorgeous.
          Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

I saw a piece finished today at th sawmill Bruce colunteers at and it is georgous. Can't wait to get working with it.
            Betty

Comment

Here is what Bruce planed for me today. Can't wait to work with this beautiful wood. It's both sides of 4 pieces.
              Attached Files
              Betty

Comment

Picture #4 will be the bottom of a basket.
                Betty

Comment

Looks like some nice wood Betty. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.
                  Melanie from East TN

Comment

That is some pretty wood. Looks kinda like the popular we get around here. Let us see what you make with it.
                    AKA Paul from Washington State
                    Hegner Multimax 22-V and Seyco ST-21

Comment

This is the poplar Bruce gets from the Saw mill he volunteers that. Notice the red in it?
                      Attached Files
                      Betty

Comment

WOW never seen it with red in it, that's pretty. Around here we have tree farms that grow hi-bred popular trees (they grow fast). I mean these farms are big. One I drove by was 5 miles along the hi-way and you could not even see how far back it went, but it was measured in miles also. They originally started growing them to sell to the paper factories. They chipped them. But the wood started becoming so "popular" that they started selling them for the lumber value. Just the branchs and scraps went to the paper factories.
                        AKA Paul from Washington State
                        Hegner Multimax 22-V and Seyco ST-21

Comment

This is air dried poplar. He found it in the shed that has the sweet gum wood. It's amazing the difference in color of air dried and kiln dried wood.
                          Betty

Comment

I finally cut a basket from the sweet gum, or bubble gum as Elliott calls it. It cuts like butter. I'm going to like working with this wood. Will post a pic once I get it together.
                            Betty

Comment

Some great intarsia wood.
                              Rolf
                              RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X