Sweet Gum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Gum

Bruce came home from the sawmill with 3 boards approx 4' x 1' x 1 1/2". Never worked with it. Any hints appreciated.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

You can find out more
    about this wood at The Wood Database on line.

Comment

I know but I want to know if anyone has worked with it.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I have not used it myself but found this article on it:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/material...s-3/sweet-gum/
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I had some gum wood a few years ago. It is about the same as cutting poplar. The grain patterns in it are gorgeous.
          Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

I saw a piece finished today at th sawmill Bruce colunteers at and it is georgous. Can't wait to get working with it.
            Betty

Comment

Here is what Bruce planed for me today. Can't wait to work with this beautiful wood. It's both sides of 4 pieces.
              Attached Files
              Betty

Comment

Picture #4 will be the bottom of a basket.
                Betty

Comment

Looks like some nice wood Betty. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.
                  Melanie from East TN

Comment

That is some pretty wood. Looks kinda like the popular we get around here. Let us see what you make with it.
                    AKA Paul from Washington State
                    22" Hegner.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• turtleteasers
                      Reply to Triangular Pieces
                      turtleteasers
                      [What blade for this?]

I used a Pegas 2/0 skip tooth blade for this and all my 1/4" plywood puzzles. Any 2/0 blade will give similar results, as long as it is a simple blade which cuts only on the down-stroke. I stick with Pegas because I have found them to be consistent....
                      Today, 12:16 PM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to Triangular Pieces
                      Rolf
                      Lots of Wow's here also. What blade for this?
                      Today, 10:20 AM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to Black lacquer
                      Rolf
                      Are you thinking spray or brush? If it is a big grain you will need to use a grain filler, I have never used a filler so can't help much there. This may help a bit.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...k_Lacquer.html
                      Today, 10:16 AM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to Kitchen cabinets officially started today!!!
                      Rolf
                      Looking good! What will you do with the shelf edges?
                      Today, 10:11 AM
                    • campasano
                      Reply to Whirligig
                      campasano
                      Rolf, I use White pine or Cedar but the most important aspect is the painting technique. I always put on a white primer, use fine steel wool to remove imperfections, Apply exterior outdoor paint, rub fine steel wool after each application when dry and final finish I apply clear poly ( spray can )...
                      Today, 09:59 AM
                    Working...
                    X