masking tape

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• masking tape

what is the difference between blue masking tape and regular masking tape when you apply it to wood

I don't know the answer as it applies to the delicate nature of wood in scroll sawing, but here is a good link for the different kinds and characteristics of each. (Click on each one to get a detailed characteristic.)
    http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home...-tape-reviews/
    Hank Lee
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

From what I understand about that and from observations made using both this is what I believe.
      ( 1 ) The Blue Tapes glue has a much longer hardening time than the regular brown / tan masking tape
      ( 2 ) That the blue also does not generally leave any residue on the wood
      ( 3 ) The top surface of the blue tape is better suited to handle paint, finishes, etc without bleeding through to the surface of the wood.
      ( 4 ) Both the tan and the blue seem to "lubricate: the blade as it cuts reducing burning on woods such as cherry

Hope that helps
      DW
      Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
      John Wayne

Comment

Just bear in mind all blue tape is not the same. By that I am not just talking brand. You want the clean release tape. Normally the darker color blue to almost purple are the better ones. Yes they are more expensive. The issue with the cheaper ones are they tend to stick to well and must be removed within 24 hours or you will need to remove by sanding or a razor blade. The better tapes can we left up to a couple weeks and are still easy to remove.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

What Scott said, also the adhesive is not as strong so it doesn't damage the painted walls it was meant for. For us it is easier to remove.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

(2) If you leave it on a piece of wood for a year, there is some residue and it is harder to remove. Just saying.😊
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
              (2) If you leave it on a piece of wood for a year, there is some residue and it is harder to remove. Just saying.😊
              and I thought I was bad......

Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Good info. I have always used blue painters tape, but did not know there was a "clean release" never look when I buy. I certainly will next time.

Just went and looked at a unopened roll I have and it does have an "Adhesion" chart on it. I got "medium" . I know what to look for now,
                Last edited by Scrappile; 04-13-2017, 09:32 AM.
                AKA Paul from Washington State
                Hegner Multimax 22-V and Seyco ST-21

Comment

You want the stronger stuff when you tape the kids to the wall.
                  Rolf

Comment

Being a painter for some 50 years, well didn't use tape that much, free hand cutting in, but when I did would use frog tape green and yellow for real sensitive finishes, in the last 15 to 20 years, that its been around, RJ
                    Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

In my years of yacht varnish maintenance we used blue tape where it was going to stay on for 3 to 4 days and green tape where it was to stay on for up to a week. The customary buff coloured tape was never left on overnight and generally used for a few hours only.

Comment

Hobbyhorse Nice BMW!
                        Rolf

Comment

I am always amazed and impressed by the depth of knowledge on this "scroll saw" forum.

I love when answers come from folks who have solid experience and really know stuff, and aren't just giving their best guess. It's hard to fault people for wanting to be helpful, but I cringe every time I read something that I know is incorrect, especially when it's from someone who has enough general credibility to be believed without being questioned or challenged.

I would hope that if I ever post something that seems incorrect, someone would point it out, either publicly or by PM.
                          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

regular masking tape lifts up wood fiber on Baltic birch blue not so much
                            Last edited by butch1008; 04-14-2017, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks Rolf .. it is my very favourite bike.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to The hits just keep coming
                                Linda In Phoenix
                                Lotsa prayers, and optimistic good vibes to you all.
                                Today, 12:59 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Fair win
                                Linda In Phoenix
                                Wow. Well deserved ribbons for sure. Our fair started doing some new rules about 2 years ago. Entries into "Home Arts" can be just about any design. Entries into "Fine Arts" have to be original designs. I know a couple of scrollers who used to compete in Fine Arts, especially...
                                Today, 12:58 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Do you wear eye prodection at the scroll saw?
                                Linda In Phoenix
                                I'm guilty of not wearing eye protection while scrolling---other than the magnifying glass. But, I do wear wrap around safety glasses when I'm sanding, routing, etc. At the recommendation of my eye doc a few years ago, I did add one safety/health step though. He recommended that a couple times...
                                Today, 12:52 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Controversial yet fun Xmas Santa
                                Linda In Phoenix
                                It is totally heartwarming to see that there is humor left in this world, and not everything has to fit some politically correct mold that attempts to please the twisted pantie nimrods. Scrollers seem to be some of the most well rounded and easy going group of folks there are. Even when we have...
                                Today, 12:45 AM
                              • Scrappile
                                Reply to Do you wear eye prodection at the scroll saw?
                                Scrappile
                                I'd be far more concerned about lung protection, but I like some, use a magnifier lamp and wear glasses (not safety). i have broken many blades never had anything "fly" anywhere, well except my lower blade holder. I have glaucoma and cataracts (although not bad enough for surgery yet). ...
                                Yesterday, 09:30 PM
                              Working...
                              X