BB ply vs. oak ply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BB ply vs. oak ply

For you who have utilized each, why would you choose one over the other? What is the difference besides cost and grain?

Thanks
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Oak ply is a little easier to cut. As far as how I decide which to use for what, for a very intricate cutting where there's not much that the grain could add I opt for BB. For those cuttings where I feel the grain of the oak could add to the cutting (water type patterns for examply) I'll opt for oak ply. This same decision making process carries over to hardwoods as well for making clocks and such.
    Kevin
    Scrollsaw Patterns Online
    Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

I absolutely agree with you Kevin. I would only add that if I am going to paint a puzzle made of ply, which I often do, I prefer BB because the paint covers the little bit of grain. With oak, the grain shows through the paint. The same thing happens when you are constructing inexpensive cabinetry for a kitchen, bath or shop. If you use regular ply, the spruce or pine grain shows through multiple layers of paint. The only solution I have ever seen is to coat the ply with spackle or sheet rock paste, sand it smooth, and then paint the ply. Shellac would probably accomplish the same thing with oak ply.
      A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
      George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Originally posted by sawdustus
        spackle
        I'm needing a translation again I think - what is spackle?
        Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Originally posted by PuzzledMoose
          I'm needing a translation again I think - what is spackle?
          Thick paste-like material similar to drywall joint compound...used to fill holes at the joints in drywall, or to fill in holes you punched in the wall...

Bob
          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Bob. I didn't know what it was either.
            Why would you not use wood putty to fill in the cracks or holes? Or is this not the same doing?
            Diane
            Dragon
            Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
            Owner of a Dewalt 788
            PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon
              Thanks for the explanation Bob. I didn't know what it was either.
              Why would you not use wood putty to fill in the cracks or holes? Or is this not the same doing?
              Diane
              If you are going to paint over the wood anyway, spackle or drywall compound is much less expensive than wood putty. It is also easier to sand and get a good smooth surface. It is important to use a good primer before painting to seal the surface to get an even coat of paint. At least that is my experience.
              Bill

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
              and website www.billswoodntreasures.com

Comment

Mike, I use BB for portraits and the oak for scenic cuttings trying to use the grain for sky, water, etc. I like a little grain in my portaits so you can tell it is wood.
                Diane, spackle dries a lot faster than wood putty and is very easy to sand.
                Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

I'm pretty much of the same school of thought as Mick, another bonus with using BB is that it will display a wider varity of stain. I have used maple, pecan and english oak with great results on my portraits.
                  Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Originally posted by BobD
                    Thick paste-like material similar to drywall joint compound...used to fill holes at the joints in drywall, or to fill in holes you punched in the wall...

Bob
                    Thanks Bob - sounds like Polyfilla in the UK? Is spackle a trade name or generic?
                    Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

If all you are going to do is grain filling I would not use either one. There were some excelent talks given by Teri Masaschi at the open house. talking about grain fillers etc. Fox chapel has her book.
                      Foolproof Wood Finishing:
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Mike,
                        Like others, my wood of choice is based on the amount and type ( or lack of ) grain I want for the finished product. The shade of the finished piece ( light or dark ) is a factor for me too. Since discovering the outstanding results of using BLO I rarely use anything else for finishing. I get my scrolling blanks from Sloans so there is not too terrible a cost hit regardless of what I buy. my stash presently contains BB, cherry, red oak, and maple ply, The BB and maple finish out lighter than the cherry and red oak with BLO. I have started using a lot of maple ply for portraits when I want distinctive grain that does not darken up and detract from the subject. Sometimes I want it dark and cherry just looks excellent to me finished with BLO . If there is a lot of wood being removed, I, like others, just use BB since little grain will be left anyway.
                        I'm far from an expert, but that is my 2 cents
                        ...~Robert~
                        DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
                          Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                          by meflick
                          got mine in the mail today. Thanks.Cute and befitting. Now I need to know how it’s made/what it’s made from. (On everyone gets theirs of course.)...
                          Today, 08:21 PM
                        • Jo Labre
                          Reply to Joining the new tool frenzy
                          by Jo Labre
                          At the time I thought "Ah, spit!" (or words like that) and just threw the blade in the garbage. It was the #5 size blade. I suspect it would cost more to have it done than the cost of a new blade. The owners manual is not very helpful, the wording is awkward, having been 'translated' into...
                          Today, 11:13 AM
                        • hotshot
                          by hotshot
                          The brazing process doesn't look too bad. I have seen the welders built into the industrial bandsaws, so out of curiosity, I looked that up and that process is pretty cool to watch also, though trying that on something this small would probably light the whole thing up....
                          Today, 10:14 AM
                        • Rolf
                          by Rolf
                          Jo, I did a bit of research on the web, and there are lots of videos of people silver soldering broken blades. In hindsight I remember I had made a jig eons ago to do just that, when I still had a small Craftsman bench top three wheeler....
                          Today, 09:32 AM
                        • Rolf
                          Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                          by Rolf
                          I haven't even decided what to make!
                          Today, 09:27 AM
                        Working...
                        X