basswood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basswood

At Wal-Mart I bought a slab of basswood about 5/8"thickness. It is a hard or soft wood. What size and kind of blade would be best to cut it.

It's very soft even-grained wood - easy to cut. I just cut a fretwork design out of one of those slabs using a FD-SR #1 blade and it cut like butter...
    Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Basswood is one of the softest, lightest woods available. It is often used by modelers due to its light weight and by carvers since cuts so easily.

I would say you can use just about any blade you want, but smaller, less aggressive blades will give you more control.
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sandy Oaks
        Reply to Eagle
        by Sandy Oaks
        I agree, a beautiful piece and wonderful cutting. Years ago, my father had Alzheimer. The last six months we had him in the VA center in St. Cloud MN. His wood work shop is still in MN. I could not take it down to TN....
        Today, 12:00 PM
      • Rolf
        Reply to Spiral Blades - Tips & Tricks?
        by Rolf
        I have been using spiral a lot more lately Thanks to Charles Hand stunning designs. I have used them of and on since I started scrolling.
        They were a real challenge on my Old Delta SS350. cutting straight in and out was easy, trying to cut details going sideways was the problem because of the...
        Today, 09:16 AM
      • Jimern
        Reply to Spiral Blades - Tips & Tricks?
        by Jimern
        The best tip I have with spirals is to cut straight lines backwards. instead of pushing the work piece into the blade, pull it toward you. Seems to allow for better control on straight lines (most other lines too)
        Today, 05:27 AM
      • Linda In Phoenix
        Reply to Mexican Covid19 Vaccination logo - my version :)
        by Linda In Phoenix
        Go Wylie Coyote!!!
        Yesterday, 09:19 PM
      • will8989
        Reply to My lucky day!
        by will8989
        🍷🍷MD is a cluster mess. Getting the vaccine is fast. Getting the appointment is another story altogether. The county executive makes the rules for their own county. State says 65+ the jerk that runs this county says no, 75+ then puts a whole bunch of people on a priority list. But, there are state...
        Yesterday, 09:18 PM
      Working...
      X