Need ideas for wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need ideas for wood

I have some pieces of tiger wood. It has a reddish tint. The wood is 2-5/8" wide only but some pieces are up to 30 inches long. I need ideas as to what I can make with it. It is 1/4" thick.
    Diane
    Dragon
    Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
    Owner of a Dewalt 788
    PuffityDragon on AFSP

How 'bout some Tigers?
    Check me out on the web:
    http://www.kerrysworld.com

Comment

Face glue 3 pcs together and you can make six pens.

Could make for some interesting looking tree bark or leaves in an intarsia, or perhaps face glue them together and make the flower petals for an intarsia flower like a tiger lilly !
      Jeff Powell

Comment

Originally posted by workin for wood
        Face glue 3 pcs together and you can make six pens.
        How in the heck do you make pens with a scroll saw?
        Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
        www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Originally posted by Minnesota scroller
          How in the heck do you make pens with a scroll saw?

I'm waiting for the answer to that too?
          Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Well I don't knw about pens but I do have an idea for a walking stick that I want to try.
            I will keep you posted on it

You could make a nice fretwork potpourri box with the wood.
            Music boxes, picture frames, letter openers, word art.... so many things so little time.
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I think the pens are a good idea. Some of us that have scroll saws also have other tools, like say, wood lathes.
              Troy

Scrollin' with DeWalt DW788

Comment

I only have a scroll saw and I'm waiting for the instructions for the pens!!!
                Thanks for all the ideas. I have quite a few of those boards and I guess I will use my imagination somewhat. I have not done intarsia yet.
                Working on the mask right now and that will be my first one.
                Diane
                Dragon
                Owner of a Dewalt 788
                PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

You're really limited in what you can make with that wood since it's only 2 5/8" wide. I've been thinking about this and just realized you can make a bunch of letter openers. I made mine from 1/4" thick wood and it worked well.
                  Mia

We are the music makers.
                  We are the dreamers of dreams.

Easy scrollin' with a DW788

Comment

Thanks Mia I will look into letter openers and I also thought of Christmas ornaments. Not sure what size they are because I've never made them yet.
                    Diane
                    Dragon
                    Owner of a Dewalt 788
                    PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

"How in the heck do you make pens with a scroll saw? "

You hold the wood next to the blade and spin your fingers very very fast.
                      It really gives you a nice texture that is hard to achieve on a lathe.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I still think you could make a pen with traditional scrolling.
                        We tend to think of pens as round and turned on a lathe but there are other ways.

But I do like your post Rolf
                        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Don't have to have a lathe to make a pen, but it helps. buy the pen kit first, it has the instructions for the lengths of the two ends. I suggest starting with a slimline, but a scrolled pen would probably better in a cigar kit because it is fatter. Cut the wood 3/4 by 3/4 by 5 1/2 long. set the two tubes beside the blank in the order the kit tells you and then mark the two length onto the wood with a pencil. write on both sides the front and back of the pen, then cut the two lines so you now have two pieces the lenths of the tubes. Mark an x on the two ends to find the center. For a cigar pen, use drill press to drill a 10 mm barrel hole. Rough up tubes with sandpaper. Pour CA glue into holes and coat the tubes then using a pencil or dowel, push tubes into holes. Trace the outside diameter of the pen parts to the ends of the wood...you have an ink end, a center band and a cap...so you want to trace the diameters of these to the ends of your wood (if you were using a lathe you would use bushings, but this is a no lathe pen). Now carve or sand your pen to shape...an octagon or triangle shape would be easiest to do on a belt sander. At the ends, you can spin the blank on the sander down flush to your pencil lines. Sand and buff the finished wood and then press the pen parts into the blanks using your drill press and some scrap wood to prevent marring the metal.
                          I'm slowly accumulating parts so that I can seriously scroll some pens. You can inlay your name into the blanks to later turn on a lathe..you can inlay designs, you can cut and glue curved and or compounded segments into a pen blank...Sky's the limit!
                          Here's two examples...the first is a pen that could be done without a lathe and the second is a scrolled pen that obviously needs a lathe..it's a "Gisi Pen"
                          Definitely something to aspire to...just what I need, another hobby to bankrupt me.
                          Attached Files
                          Jeff Powell

Comment

Diane,

Most ornaments can be any size you want. If you find a pattern you like, just reduce the size when you copy it until it fits your material. I have access to the office copier here at work, so I do this all the time. May be a little more involved if you have to use a copying service to accomplish this, but it's a thought.
                            Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianScroller
                              I still think you could make a pen with traditional scrolling.
                              We tend to think of pens as round and turned on a lathe but there are other ways.

But I do like your post Rolf
                              Actually, when you think about it, you could make octagon shaped pens with a scroll saw and sander. Interesting concept.
                              Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                              www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X