Lucky Me (I think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky Me (I think)

I just got off the phone with a retiree who has a sawmill 15 miles from me. He has maple and ash and just got some 12" wide oak, which he says is beautiful stuff. He'll plane the wood down to any thickness I want. He claims the 8" and narrower stock is real dry and anything over 10" wide is at about 14%. I asked about prices for maple and ash, 8" wide X 2 feet long by 1/2" thick. He said, "I suppose a couple bucks a board." I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's as good a wood as he claims. He also has walnut.
    Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 02-21-2007, 10:28 PM.
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Ooooooo, send me some!
    Mia

We are the music makers.
    We are the dreamers of dreams.

Easy scrollin' with a DW788

Comment

Mike, it sounds like a real good deal especialy if he is going to mill it for you to size. Steve
      If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
      My Gallery
      [email protected]

Comment

Mmm how long would it take to drive from NS to Minnesota?

Sounds like a good deal for sure Mike...
        Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Originally posted by PuzzledMoose
          Mmm how long would it take to drive from NS to Minnesota?
          Ian, it's only 1943 miles and you should be able to make it in 31 1/2 hours. I'll have the coffee on. Let me know when to expect you.
          Mike

Comment

Ya know--you could fall into a bucket of DUNG & come out smelling roses. I think that you have too much spare time on your hands!

Comment

Just picked up my lumber from the sawmill. I bought about 60 feet of mostly 6 inch and some 8", the majority 1/2" thick with some 3/4" per request. About 1/2 of it is hard maple with some red oak and walnut. I paid a whopping $25 for the works. The planer left some minor ridges in the boards so I'll have to do more sanding than usual and there are a few knots in some of the boards to go around. However, I figured this same lumber would have cost me close to $200 online. I should have enough wood to last me a long time.
              Mike

Comment

Mike, at $175.00 savings it is worth a little extra sanding. Great deal. I am glad to hear that you found it. Steve
                If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
                My Gallery
                [email protected]

Comment

Sounds like a good deal to me too. Was just in our new Menards store (like a Home Depot) the other day and they want $15.00 a board ft for walnut. Guess where I,am not going to buy wood *L*

Steve in Mi.

Comment

Originally posted by Minnesota scroller
                    Ian, it's only 1943 miles and you should be able to make it in 31 1/2 hours. I'll have the coffee on. Let me know when to expect you.
                    Dammit -it only looks a few inches on the map ... I guess the cost of gas would kinda cancel out the potential savings ..lol

Sounds like you got yourself a great deal ...
                    Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Originally posted by FRETDUST
                      Sounds like a good deal to me too. Was just in our new Menards store (like a Home Depot) the other day and they want $15.00 a board ft for walnut. Guess where I,am not going to buy wood *L*

Steve in Mi.
                      Wow, it would be cheaper to have me send you some. The walnut I got actually measures 7/8" thick. For what I'm going to use it for, 1/8" thicker makes no difference. The walnut is beautiful. It doesn't have a flaw in it.

My 5 ft. piece of 6" wide walnut is actually worth $37.50 then, if bought at Menards. I should cut all my boards to 2 ft. lengths, sand it smooth and put it on Ebay. I'd probably do pretty well. The thing is, Ebay is a pain.
                      Mike

Comment

WOW! That is a great find, even if it turns out to not be dry yet. Well done.
                        ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Actually, the wood I brought home is at 8%. The wider boards (over 8"), was at 14%. From what I've read, 8% moisture content is pretty dry. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
                          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by FRETDUST

Steve in Mi.
                            Ouch! $15 a bd ft. for Walnut is nuts. Niagara Lumber has 4/4 for 7.45 bd ft. shipped to my location.
                            I saw an add in one of my woodworking magazines (Wood perhaps?) from a dealer who was selling 100 bd. ft. bundles of Walnut for $160. I'm drawing a blank on the dealer's name unfortunately.
                            Sounds like you got a good deal Mike. I'm currently paying $2.50 a bd. ft. for 8/4 oak but even at that price it would've cost me about $50 for 60 ft. of 1/2" X 6" pieces. Of course, I still would have the labor of resawing and planing it on top of that. Maple is even higher.
                            Kevin
                            Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                            Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

I get wormy red oak, birds eye maple and curly maple free. from where i work at a cabinet factory they throw all that away so i get it and take it home hate to see it get thrwn away. if anybodys around crossville tenn. look me up and i will give you some. i have mailed some but it cost $16 to send a small box so dont no if that wold be good price or not.
                              Rick

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X