Another Silly Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Silly Question

I went to a speciallity lumber yard in our 3rd largest town in Missouri (Springfield) and check out some lumber to cut.
    One thing I saw was what was called African Blackwood now at $89.00 per board foot what in the world would a fellow do with that that if he could sell it what kind of price would he have to have?
    now those are the questions I would ask myself.

But to pay that much for a board foot of material is outragous in my little world.

dale

Oh, but it is so pretty! Hard, dense, oily, and finishes like glass.

You should price amboyna burl.........or thuya burl............

....or just go here and drool: http://www.leetreewoodworks.com//
    ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Geez, Barry is there ANY wood you haven't seen or worked with, you and Jeff are borderline iwood insane. Of course that would make you experts which would explain why I sit on the edge of my seat with your wood reviews. Some day, I can only hope to hold such knowledge...you guys are the Yoda's of exotic woods.
      Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

I just lucked out the other day and found 3 boards of jamaican Blue. They are 4 wide by 13 long with a small cracked knot near one end and about a half inch of sapwood on each side that has to be trimmed off. Basically all three boards combined are a board foot and I paid $55. But I needed it, I am just starting a new intarsia, civil war theme. The Blue is perfect for a confederate uniform.
        Jeff Powell

Comment

All that wood makes gasoline look cheap.

Bob
          Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Dale,
            Wood like this is used in high-end custom furniture and musical instruments as well. Folks that shop at Ikea wouldn't be interested. I've seen exotic wood jewelry boxes selling for several thousand dollars a piece with these types of woods as well. It's all in your target market. Why target a market that counts on working for a living????
            Kevin
            Scrollsaw Patterns Online
            Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

I'm not scrolling for a living, just for a hobby, so that helps make the price of lumber less of an issue. I have the luxury of making what I want and when I want, using whatever wood makes me happy. On the rare occasion that I do sell something, wood cost is considered into the selling price, as well as time and the costs of heat and electricity. So you bet, the price is not cheap if you want to buy one of my intarsia's. I do have calculated prices on the back of all my pictures that I keep. I'm not advertising anywheres, but when someone asks, then I can tell them a price. A picture, such as my "Spring Celebration" is $6500.00. My big Mermaid is $7500...that's my most expensive piece. I have only sold one expensive piece which was $3500.00. And it happened by accident, that someone saw a picture, passed it on to someone else that was interested..just a word of mouth thing. Anything is for sale, but I'm happier if nobody buys anything.
              I think I've sold 3 pictures in the 5 years I've been scrolling. Most of what I don't have anymore has gone as gifts or charities.
              Jeff Powell

Comment

Originally posted by workin for wood
                I think I've sold 3 pictures in the 5 years I've been scrolling. Most of what I don't have anymore has gone as gifts or charities.
                BTW old buddy, old pal, old friend o' mine....my birthday's coming up in a couple of months.
                Kevin
                Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Mine is Friday....<GRIN>

Bob
                  www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Mines on March 1st Jeff, and shipping takes time.
                    kevin/pitbull.

Comment

........my retirement bash is in early May..........
                      ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

I have been using 1/4 plywood doing some fretwork pieces. and giving them away.
                        I purchased some Oak, Walnut, Ash, Red Cedar (smelly kind) and Bass wood the other day thinking I will do some intarsia.
                        Started one but have not finished it. It will be my first one to try.

oh well. I wont be purchaseing any of that high dollar wood. Like you say the market makes the difference so here it will be those above or pine.

People around here will look something over and say I can do it and will walk away and no sale
                        Now I have to make myself clear I have not sold anything just give them away.
                        But I am starting to make a few things to sale at a big get together that we have in Oct.
                        I wood carve and have sold a few things and want to do some scrolling to sale some too.
                        I have read some of the posts telling how to sale and what to do and not allow to be done.
                        That really is helpful.

dale

Comment

Hope your intarsia works out great. You already have some colors I see..brown, black, gold, purple and white...in order, but figuratively speaking of course. The red cedar will lose most of it's purple and become more of a redish brown...and ash isn't really gold, but I consider it somewhat golden, especially compared to what else you have there.
                          Jeff Powell

Comment

Since everyone is putting in their orders.. My wife and I have been married 24 years yesterday..

dale
                            just any ole thing will do there jeff

lol

Comment

I use african black wood and thuya burl both for the knives I've been making. Ebony is another favorite but looks better if you can find some with plenty of brown in it. As for $$ ... I'm finding quickly that I get more out of the knives what I put more into them. The finer the detail, the more exotic and enticing the wood ... pick your price ... a good rule for pricing ... set your price much higher than what you'd hope for ... if they want it, they'll pay. If they don't really want it, they wouldn't give you a plugged nickel for it anyway but will instead be quite indulgent in giving you a really hard time about your price. LOL
                              Shoot for the moon. If you miss you'll be headed for a star! www.80artdesigns.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X