Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• utbva
    replied
    I have some silver maple tree that was in my neighbors yard that had died because of beetle kill. I had it slabbed and then stacked it to dry for a few years in my back yard. I had it covered, but the sides were open. I decided to start using it a couple of months ago and have found that it is spalted and has some small worm holes in it. I don't remember seeing the spalting in it when I set it out to dry. The owl family puzzle in my gallery was cut out of some of this wood. I probably have about 30 or 40 board feet of it left.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Wilson
    replied
    In the latest issue of SSW&C there is an article on how to make your own spalted wood.

Leave a comment:

• workin for wood
    replied
    or you can take some maple and toss it out on the lawn, then put a tarp over it, and it'll spalt. spalting is just mold settling in for the buffet.

I avoid scrolling spalted...moldy woods. it's the "mold" part that gets me.

Leave a comment:

• bearfretworks
    replied
    There's a good thread on "where do you buy your wood" here: http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6210

"Kim" in my post has thin spalted stuff.

No affilition with him, just a VERY happy customer. Welcome to the forum!

Leave a comment:

• scrollerman
    replied
    thanks for you help!

Leave a comment:

• Gill
    replied
    Forgive me linking to another forum, but you might find this discussion informative.

Gill

Leave a comment:

• lucky788scroller
    replied
    many hardwood lumber companies sell spalted wood . Do a search there on the left of the screen under other great links. Dale

Leave a comment:

• scrollerman
    started a topic Spalted wood...

Spalted wood...

does anyone know where i could purchase spalted wood? i would love to use it, but i don't have anywhere to buy it.

thanks

scrollerman

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X