Spalted wood...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spalted wood...

does anyone know where i could purchase spalted wood? i would love to use it, but i don't have anywhere to buy it.

thanks

scrollerman
    "You should see what I saw!"

Making sawdust with a Delta SS350

many hardwood lumber companies sell spalted wood . Do a search there on the left of the screen under other great links. Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Forgive me linking to another forum, but you might find this discussion informative.

Gill
      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

thanks for you help!
        "You should see what I saw!"

Making sawdust with a Delta SS350

Comment

There's a good thread on "where do you buy your wood" here: http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6210

"Kim" in my post has thin spalted stuff.

No affilition with him, just a VERY happy customer. Welcome to the forum!
          ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

or you can take some maple and toss it out on the lawn, then put a tarp over it, and it'll spalt. spalting is just mold settling in for the buffet.

I avoid scrolling spalted...moldy woods. it's the "mold" part that gets me.
            Jeff Powell

Comment

In the latest issue of SSW&C there is an article on how to make your own spalted wood.
              Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I have some silver maple tree that was in my neighbors yard that had died because of beetle kill. I had it slabbed and then stacked it to dry for a few years in my back yard. I had it covered, but the sides were open. I decided to start using it a couple of months ago and have found that it is spalted and has some small worm holes in it. I don't remember seeing the spalting in it when I set it out to dry. The owl family puzzle in my gallery was cut out of some of this wood. I probably have about 30 or 40 board feet of it left.
                Bill

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
                and website www.billswoodntreasures.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jimern
                  Reply to Recommendations anyone?
                  by Jimern
                  Or first build a flip top workstand, something like this

Today, 08:37 AM
                • Ennobee
                  3-layer sailboat plaque
                  by Ennobee
                  After earlier this year I went through my books and got me a score of images of vintage sailing ships(*), I keep in finding new ways of making plaques with this designs. After trying my hand at segmentation, which kind-of worked, and multiple bevel-cuts,
                  which I still have to keep trying until...
                  Today, 12:23 AM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Farmers market
                  by will8989
                  I made the first wolf for my grandson’s birthday. I have made 5 more and sold them all! Personally, I hope to never see another kayak again!...
                  Yesterday, 11:21 PM
                • Ennobee
                  Reply to Some sailing ships for my bathroom
                  by Ennobee
                  Update: I just realized I never posted any pictures of the finished fourth ship. I finished it about 6 weeks ago and have since tried a series of different techniques with some other illustrations from the same book. I'll post about that in a different thread. In the meantime, here is the last of my...
                  Yesterday, 10:34 PM
                • Jim Finn
                  Reply to Blades
                  by Jim Finn
                  I cut 1 1/2" pine (solid) when making toys. I use an Olsen #7 blade (precision ground). It out lasts others I have tried including Flying Dutchman blades..
                  Yesterday, 10:09 PM
                Working...
                X