Spalted wood...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spalted wood...

does anyone know where i could purchase spalted wood? i would love to use it, but i don't have anywhere to buy it.

thanks

scrollerman
    "You should see what I saw!"

Making sawdust with a Delta SS350

many hardwood lumber companies sell spalted wood . Do a search there on the left of the screen under other great links. Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Forgive me linking to another forum, but you might find this discussion informative.

Gill
      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

thanks for you help!
        "You should see what I saw!"

Making sawdust with a Delta SS350

Comment

There's a good thread on "where do you buy your wood" here: http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6210

"Kim" in my post has thin spalted stuff.

No affilition with him, just a VERY happy customer. Welcome to the forum!
          ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

or you can take some maple and toss it out on the lawn, then put a tarp over it, and it'll spalt. spalting is just mold settling in for the buffet.

I avoid scrolling spalted...moldy woods. it's the "mold" part that gets me.
            Jeff Powell

Comment

In the latest issue of SSW&C there is an article on how to make your own spalted wood.
              Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I have some silver maple tree that was in my neighbors yard that had died because of beetle kill. I had it slabbed and then stacked it to dry for a few years in my back yard. I had it covered, but the sides were open. I decided to start using it a couple of months ago and have found that it is spalted and has some small worm holes in it. I don't remember seeing the spalting in it when I set it out to dry. The owl family puzzle in my gallery was cut out of some of this wood. I probably have about 30 or 40 board feet of it left.
                Bill

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
                and website www.billswoodntreasures.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                  Bruce, the one on probation
                  by will8989
                  is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                  Today, 12:59 AM
                • will8989
                  Sundays market
                  by will8989
                  When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                  Today, 12:46 AM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                  by will8989
                  I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                  Today, 12:27 AM
                • jim_mex
                  Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                  by jim_mex
                  Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                  Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                • KarlB
                  Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                  by KarlB
                  Very well done!

Karl
                  Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                Working...
                X