Danger!!!  Wood Dust!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danger!!!  Wood Dust!!!

Some years ago I never used a dust mask and by the end of a woodworking evening my nose was packed with dust. So got 'smart' and bought some little masks to wear. But for the past year I have doctored for a respiratory problem. Well, I just got out of the hospital having pneumonia and what is now called COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). This will require maintenance medication probably the rest of my life. SO LISTEN UP!!!! Use a GOOD mask all the time and don't take a chance with your lungs!!

Re: Danger!!!  Wood Dust!!!

Hi Lavonne, glad to see your message, I have a mask, a good one, but lots of times I don't take the time to put it on. I'm sorry you are having problems, but thanks to you I will hang mine on my saw so it's the first thing I do before turning on the switch. I do alot of scrolling, daily, as I am retired, so thank you for the info. Happy Scrolling!!

Comment

Hi Marilyn: I'm glad you read my post. Why kind of mask do you have? I know I need a better one than I have used but do not know what kind to get. Any suggestions?

Comment

Sorry to hear about your health. I've often wondered when I'm cutting and have forgotten my mask........ I do have a problem, though. When I use a mask, my goggles/glasses fog up. Anybody have any suggestions on how to use the two together? I've tried anti fog, but it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks

Comment

Hi Bill;
          Just resgistered, saw your post on the mask, looked at it and wonder if it interfears with your glasses.?
          Just Charlie

Comment

Hey again William,

I'm getting caught up on my reading while not much is going on here at work.

This was an interesting discussion. I can't help but wonder what happened to free speech and free enterrpise and all of that stuff.

By the way, I'll check out the site you mentioned.

Tuck

Comment

AND DON'T FORGET THE SAFETY GLASSES! Even though I had on safety glasses, a small particle of dust got into my eye and caused an infected abrasion on my cornea. I was very lucky I didn't fool around with it and went to the eye doctor the second day it was bothering me. I was informed that I could have gone blind in that eye even from such a small abrasion. I now have safety goggles that enclose my eye completely instead of just safety glasses. Dust mask is the first thing I put on before I do ANY sawing, sanding, etc. I just bought a new one at the woodworking show this week-end by Dust Bee Gone and it appears to be very good. Doesn't fog up glasses either!!

Comment

Thanks Bill for you upbeat reply to the question. I have several different types of mask and find my breathing into them does create moister and have changed them many times.

I was wondering why you was not moterator of the other board. Goes to show you the lengths people will go to stop people from posting the right answers. Yes a board is for discussion and should not be hampered. It is good to have someplace to go to get answers from those of experience.
                Thanks you sir for your forthright attitude. It is needed in this world.

Comment

Was thinking of starting to wear one myself. I have noticed that if I work for a long time, I have trouble breathing afterward, plus I smoke, so that doesn't help either, I know. But can definetely tell I've been around the dust. And sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope everything works out ok.[quote author=Lavonne Swiggum link=board=General_SS;num=1068077104;start=0#0 date=11/05/03 at 18:05:02]Some years ago I never used a dust mask and by the end of a woodworking evening my nose was packed with dust.  So got 'smart' and bought some little masks to wear.  But for the past year I have doctored for a respiratory problem.  Well, I just got out of the hospital having pneumonia and what is now called COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).  This will require maintenance medication probably the rest of my life.  SO LISTEN UP!!!!  Use a GOOD mask all the time and don't take a chance with your lungs!![/quote]

Comment

I have asthma. Had it all my life. Learned a long time ago to avoid dust, animals, smoke, and a lot more. I get allergy shots ,one in each arm, once a week. Medications too. I can't tell if they help. When I am at the doctors office I see a lot of young people there that have oxygen tanks. I also notice that many young people are smoking cigarettes more and more. Makes me wonder why? Don't they know the smoke will eventually kill them? I never had full use of my lungs and I hope I never have to get an oxygen tank. As far as dust masks go, I think the only ones recommended by the doctor are the correct ones to use. The little paper masks are not really worthwhile but they may be better than nothing? I sure hope you get well soon Lavonne. Not being able to breathe is scary.

Comment

New to the forum and thought I would weigh in with my two cents concerning type of mask and goggles. I found that a company named Dust Bee Gone has some excellent choices for both. I found them at the Woodworking Shows last year and both the dust mask and goggles work well. I also wear glasses and have had difficulty with previous masks/goggles.

Company's web site is: www.dustbeegone.com
                      Buddy Wallace&&Bloomington, IL

Comment

I see this topic here and other forums and it makes me think how many of these people who are concerned about wearing a dust mask are smokers? I am not saying to take dust lightly. On the contrary I am a strong believer in dust masks, safety glasses and hearing protection. I get to use alot of this in my wage earning field, construction electrician. Anyway lets continue to work safe!
                        John T.

Comment

Please don't forget the safety glasses. Last december while using my drill press some dust blew up under my safety glasses. Two days later I was in the eye doctor's with an infected corneal abrasion. If I had waited a day longer to see him, I may have lost the sight in my eye. I now wear goggles. Any eye irritation that doesn't clear up immediately after woodworking, see an eye doctor! Also, while on the subject of safety, If you have long hair pull it back and take off all jewelry and make sure long sleeves are buttoned closed. It only takes a few seconds to prevent a life time of tragedy. HAPPY AND SAFE WOODWORKING!!

Comment

This is something that has me concerned lately. It started a little over a month ago when I was working with some 1/2 inch canary wood and 1/4 inch walnut. I picked up a cough that won't let go.

After doing some research, I learned about possible toxins in exotic woods, and the dangers of micro dust. Since then I've been using disposable masks, but the Dust Be Gone mask looks like a wise money/health investment. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

I have COPD and was using paper masks but still having breathing problems. I also wear glasses and they were always fogging. I found out about North Safety maska and filters so ordered one and am extremely pleased. It filters out all the dust and has a bottom exhaust port that keeps your glasses fog free. The cost was less than $30 with a mask and 20 replacement filters. They also have a filter for use with the mask for welding which I will order as I do a lot of plasma cutting and welding. Their web site is: www.northsafety.com You can find a distributor in your area from that site. Hope this helps save someones lungs.
                              Grandpa Grizzly

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X