Plywood question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plywood question

I've recently purchased the Victorian Sleigh plan from Wildwood Designs, and I plan on making this out of 1/4 inch plywood.

I've never used 1/4 inch plywood for a fret work project.  Can anybody help me with any advice or what to look for when choosing the wood?  Does the thinner plywood have gaps throughout the wood like the thicker stock does?  OR...is there a better wood I should look into?

There is a Rockler's near me and the guys there are great.  However, any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Plywood question

I would look for marine grade plywood, it's scanned for voids and 'repaired' before it's sent from the factory.

Also use a slow feed, plywood is known to chip easily and isn't my choice for any type of delicate scrolling!

Comment

Hi, I agree with the marine plywood. I tried hardwood plywood, thinking that it would be better because it cost more. No way. Tried birch and oak, and had serious problems using both. Softwood seemed to work better. Have you thought about planing pine or cedar down to the desired thickness. Or even buying cedar or pine wainscotting. Its thin and might fill the bill. I'm not really prone to using plywood. :-[

Comment

Personally I would not choose plywood to do any scrollsawed project that is designed for indoor use. But being that said you want to use either Baltic birch plywood or Finnish birch plywood. You want plywood with a finnish side on both sides because they are both going to show. I have in the past used oak plywood 1/4' with a finish side on both sides but that gets expensive so I use hard woods instead. The baltic birch will take a stain but you will want to use a stain conditioner when staining to prevent blotching. Good luck!
        John T.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I've decided to stay away from plywood. It only makes sense that if I'm going to put that kind of time and effort into a project, I don't want to have to worry about chipping, etc.

Thanks again!

Comment

I have used both solid wood and plywood for many projects. Each year for Ash Wednesday I create and cut 300 small crosses out of 1/4 inch plywood and mount a magnet on the back so it can be placed on the refrigerator door. Depending on the plywood, either black walnut or oak I stack cut 4 or 5 at a time. The tearout is so minor that you can`t notice it. The secret is to use a quality blade, all I use are Precision Ground Olson Blades. A lot of success is dependent on your rate of feed.

Comment

The best blade for cutting any plywood is the fd two way cut blade.
              Last longer and about half the price.
              Morly

Comment

I agree with Morly about the Flying Dutcman blades . My choice is the FD-SR ones. Way way less money and a lot better sharper and cleaner cutting blade and of course they last longer as well.
                Sparky.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                  Reply to Communion cross
                  by cwmagee
                  That is beautiful.

I am chaffing at the bit to get back to the scroll saw, Unfortunately the urban renewal project "Redoing the deck" has taken over all of my time.
                  Yesterday, 09:25 PM
                • daveswoodworking
                  Comment on 2020 Ornament Exchange
                  by daveswoodworking
                  Yes I’ll send you the list of names and address to sent to after after the dead line
                  Thank you for join the exchange
                  Yesterday, 09:24 PM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to Communion cross
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  Excellent contrast not only in wood choices (LOVE the bocote), but also 90 degree corners on the bocote and radius corners on the maple. Very nice!
                  Yesterday, 08:46 PM
                • vgraf
                  Reply to 2020 Ornament Exchange
                  by vgraf
                  I signed up four four, Will you be sending the list of where to send my ornaments?
                  Yesterday, 08:19 PM
                • Trackman
                  Reply to Winter issue
                  by Trackman
                  Got mine in East Central Indiana. Carole has a nice bowl idea an couple of tool reviews
                  Yesterday, 07:44 PM
                Working...
                X