Aircraft Plywood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircraft Plywood

??? Your article on Spiral Ornaments indicates aircraft plywood for supplies. What is the difference from Baltic birch or Italian Poplar vers airplane plywood? Also where can I purchase airplane plywood?? I love the challange of new projects in your Scroll Saw Work Shop magazine.. Keep up the great work. RoseMary Pernie

Re: Aircraft Plywood

I'm certain someone more informed than I will soon answer you.
    I 'think' the birch and poplar both have a tendency to break because of one grain direction. The plywood is a 'stack' of glued together, thin layers of wood with the grain running in different directions.
    Because I buy only the thinnest plywood - 1/64'. 1/32' & a bit of 1/16' - I buy from http://www.micromark.com
    I think you'll find less expensive aircraft plywood at Loew's or places like that.

Comment

Aircraft plywood is a premium grade plywood. Has thinner plys, but more of them for a given thickness. It looks alot like baltic birch or Italian poplar plywoods but is stronger and more consistent (also more expensive). Try any model shop that handles powerd model airplanes, in particular the radio controlled variety.

Comment

Ed,
        Thanks for the information. i've had a lot of people calling in asking about the aircraft plywood, and I've been giving them your answear.

Bob
        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Ahh, shucks! Blush....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• MidMich324
            Reply to hegner 2"
            by MidMich324
            Just Wondering...

Is the table size on the 22" hegner saw as on the 18" hegner saw?

With the 22" inch one you get 4 more inches of depth of cut but do you also get a few more inches of table?
            Yesterday, 09:30 PM
          • will8989
            Reply to Spring Issue
            by will8989
            I had to fool around with copying and taping a pattern again today. This wasn’t as bad as the fish, but still a pain. I use rapid resizer. Scan a pattern, put in size I want and it prints it out. If more than one page, it numbers each page at the top and I tape them together. Had the fish pattern...
            Yesterday, 09:28 PM
          • millwab
            Reply to Peanuts #1
            by millwab
            Rolf, I cover it with clear contact paper (comes off clean without leaving a residue) and draw a grid for the direction I want to cut (ie horizontal or diagonal) to keep the rows even. The rest is all freehand....
            Yesterday, 02:51 PM
          • Don in Brooklin On
            Reply to Spring Issue
            by Don in Brooklin On
            Rolf

I use acrobat reader. The poster feature will enlarge and if it goes to multiple pages it will put in cut marks. Even if the page is over letter size it will spread to multiple pages at 100%.

If it is in PDF form you can open with Inkscape or GIMP and select what you...
            Yesterday, 01:48 PM
          • theframer
            Reply to YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router
            by theframer
            Hi Linda, great find...I think.

Please keep us up to date with any information you receive. I would really like to get into this, but my computer skills are almost nonexistent, I need something that a 74 year old air head 🙄 can figure out. Thanks for sharing.

Rick
            Yesterday, 12:05 PM
          Working...
          X