Aircraft Plywood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircraft Plywood

??? Your article on Spiral Ornaments indicates aircraft plywood for supplies. What is the difference from Baltic birch or Italian Poplar vers airplane plywood? Also where can I purchase airplane plywood?? I love the challange of new projects in your Scroll Saw Work Shop magazine.. Keep up the great work. RoseMary Pernie

Re: Aircraft Plywood

I'm certain someone more informed than I will soon answer you.
    I 'think' the birch and poplar both have a tendency to break because of one grain direction. The plywood is a 'stack' of glued together, thin layers of wood with the grain running in different directions.
    Because I buy only the thinnest plywood - 1/64'. 1/32' & a bit of 1/16' - I buy from http://www.micromark.com
    I think you'll find less expensive aircraft plywood at Loew's or places like that.

Comment

Aircraft plywood is a premium grade plywood. Has thinner plys, but more of them for a given thickness. It looks alot like baltic birch or Italian poplar plywoods but is stronger and more consistent (also more expensive). Try any model shop that handles powerd model airplanes, in particular the radio controlled variety.

Comment

Ed,
        Thanks for the information. i've had a lot of people calling in asking about the aircraft plywood, and I've been giving them your answear.

Bob
        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Ahh, shucks! Blush....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
            Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
            by Rolf
            WOW! I really like your taste in doors etc. I have have always leaned towards contemporary / modern. But our house is a small cape and that style would not suit it. Since we are both Geminis we have 4 people and our house is very eclectic. Each room has a bit of different style.
            Today, 08:20 AM
          • Rolf
            Reply to New tools
            by Rolf
            You tube is a real blessing when it comes to learning new stuff. I have watched one that compared the flux core and gas mig weld. If I remember correctly polarity comes into play. The flux core weld was really nice. Have fun.
            I was told by the cardiologist that I am not allowed to weld because...
            Today, 08:14 AM
          • Rolf
            Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
            by Rolf
            The contacts on the keyboard main board are a screen printed silver metal the keys have small membrane switches under them, the probability of repair is slim. spilled coffee takes out the contacts almost instantly, the voice of experience,
            Today, 08:06 AM
          • NC Scroller
            Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
            by NC Scroller
            Only our riend Jim....😂😂😂
            Today, 06:24 AM
          • jim_mex
            Reply to New tools
            by jim_mex
            Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
            Yesterday, 11:14 PM
          Working...
          X