Buying wood from a salvage company.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying wood from a salvage company.

Browns Lumber is in Spokane Wa. I went dropped in looking for some cheep wood to learn on. I found lots of 1/4 in hemlock floor boards about 5 in wide and 6 feet long. I've been scrolling lots of things from it. It' works great for simple scrolling, but when I've tried some of the bird in a leaf patterns I tend to break something during cleanup.

I'm going back there today looking for some Oak boards or plywood.

See if you have a place in your town that buys used, or leftovers from construction sites. Great stuff!
    John Patrick, Bird Oasis
    www.birdoasis.com
    Using Dewalt DW788. Working on a new line of birdhouses and bird feeders for the store.

I welcome any and all ideas for bird friendly scrolling.

Personally, for the leaf patterns, I think you'd be better off using something a bit thicker. I scrolled the eagle with 1/4" BB and it looked OK but some of the areas are a bit fragile, especially considering you don't have a tremendous amount of wood left on the complete project. I also just finished the deer head from 1/2" curly maple. It is much stronger and looks a lot better. I think next time I will try 3/8" in probably red oak. After viewing the difference, I believe 3/8" might be sufficient. I know Dale (Lucky788) scrolls his out of
    5/8".
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

I hadn't thought of going thicker. I guess I liked the look of the thinner stuff. But if thicker will help, then thicker it is.

Thanks!!!
      John Patrick, Bird Oasis
      www.birdoasis.com
      Using Dewalt DW788. Working on a new line of birdhouses and bird feeders for the store.

I welcome any and all ideas for bird friendly scrolling.

Comment

I do cut a lot of those using 1/2 inch thick, and sometimes 5/8 thick. The shadows cast from the cuts makes them look much nicer on a little thicker wood in my opinion. They dont look as ummmm, flat . I dont really know the right word Im thinking of, like more depth or something. Dale
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Wood for birds in the leaf patterns

I agree with Dale. I have made many of the bird in the leaf patterns. My wife is a bird lover. I have found 1/2" stock works the best. I have used red oak, hard maple, and ash. Since you are just starting out I think you might want to try ash. It has nice grain and it is a bit easier to work with then the other two.

Good luck....Scott
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Dale, they look a little more three dimensional out of 5/8" stock. That is what I used on all of my leaves in the " Gallery of Little Leaves" by Steviegwood. Mike mine are out of redoak as well. They are alot stronger and it cuts well with the PGT #7 that I am using. Steve
            If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
            My Gallery
            [email protected]

Comment

It's getting repetitive I know, but red oak and 1/2 inch here too for the leaves I've done .. I've only had a couple of problems with one where the edge of one leaf came apart along the grain .. a weak piece in the wood? It wasn't a big deal - bit of wood glue and it was impossible to see it had even been broken.

As far as blades go I've been using a combination of #5 and #3 SR from FD.
              Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Going the route of recycled lumber is a great idea, I've had issues with some things I've gotten but for the most part for things other than the puzzles works great!

cutting up one piece at a time

Comment

I get a lot of cutoffs from a local furniture manufacturer...most are more than 2" thick, but usually less than 6" long. You'd be surprised what you can make out of something like that, though, with a little creativity!

Bob
                  www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
                    Reply to Phone call from son.
                    by meflick
                    Glad to hear your son is fine Betty but what a scary thing.
                    Today, 01:10 PM
                  • meflick
                    Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                    by meflick
                    Welcome to the forum from another Tennessean....
                    Today, 01:04 PM
                  • John Smith
                    by John Smith
                    Thanks guys, I have a lot of HDU left over from my sign business in various thicknesses.
                    HDU doesn't "fuse" or repair itself under heat or friction. Only acrylics and some PVC materials do that. Depending on what part of the world you are in, you would have to google HDU Distributors...
                    Today, 10:01 AM
                  • Jim McDonald
                    Reply to Phone call from son.
                    by Jim McDonald
                    My kids always call me since I am the one who probably did the stuff they are calling about.

I know it's scary to get that call, but I'm glad to hear the charge exited where it did before it went any further.

Probably hurts like hell and he has a copper taste in his mouth...
                    Today, 09:52 AM
                  • Sandy Oaks
                    by Sandy Oaks
                    Welcome to the forum from TN. As a Pegas Distributor, Pegas has the Super Skip blades which works perfectly with acrylics at a reduced speed.
                    Today, 09:40 AM
                  Working...
                  X