Which is better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is better

ok folks I am getting ready to make my 1st wood mail order I am making it from Sloans my question is for general framing type stuff JZ patterns is 1/8 or 1/4 which is prefered and how thick can I stack cut each TIA
    Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Daryl,
    It's largely a personal preference. I prefer 1/8" as I can stack more pieces with 1/8". When using 1/8" I typically stack 5 pieces and with 1/4" I'll typically stack 3. I use baltic birch as my customers seem to prefer it. I have duplicate pieces in oak and BB and invariably the BB pieces will sell far more quickly.
    Kevin
    Scrollsaw Patterns Online
    Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Considering I only do custom orders, I always use 1/4" BB. There is less chance of warping and I just think, due to the depth, it looks better. If I was into selling a lot I may be inclined to stack cut with 1/8". However, I use 1/8" acrylic for my backing and I think it looks better if the wood is thicker than the backing. Just my 3c worth.
      Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
      www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Daryl I prefer using 1/8 BB for my portraits and 1/8 redoak for my JZ patterns, I will stack cut them 4 deep.
        Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

I ordered some special blades from sloans and was impressed with their price and fast service.
          btw...what's a JZ pattern?
          Jeff Powell

Comment

thanks guys this helps me out a lot, last night I found I have made a grave error in using the 1/2 red oak ply I buy here locally (borg) I went out to purchase frames (wally world) and not one single frame is deep enough for any of my scrollings they were all made for thin stuff

Comment

Jeff - JZ are initials for Jeff Zaffino. He creates some great patterns, some of which are published in another SS magazine. Spiral blades are usually required and work the best for his patterns.

Paul S.

Paul S.

Comment

Daryl, did you look at their document frames? They come 8 1/2 X 11 but are much deeper. I found that my grandson's portrait barely fit in the 8 X 10 photo frame without the glass. My portrait with backer was 3/8".
                Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

I also preffer the baltic birch (bland grain)for any of the pictures or Jeff Zaffino designs.
                  For pictures I feel that a heavy grain takes away from the fine details. Especially if there is a lot of veining.

Just my taste.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Minnesota scroller
                    Daryl, did you look at their document frames? They come 8 1/2 X 11 but are much deeper. I found that my grandson's portrait barely fit in the 8 X 10 photo frame without the glass. My portrait with backer was 3/8".
                    yeah I sure did Mike unfortunately they have a inner wood frame that slides in to hold it next to the glass but ya know now that I think back why couldn't I just leave the inner frame out and just attch the plywood directly sighhhhhhhhhh raod trip this time I'll take a piece with me

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                      The bags seem easier on the surface.
                      But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                      Today, 03:24 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                      by will8989
                      Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                      Today, 10:32 AM
                    • Sandy Oaks
                      by Sandy Oaks
                      As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                      Today, 09:46 AM
                    • NC Scroller
                      Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                      by NC Scroller
                      I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                      Today, 07:42 AM
                    • NC Scroller
                      by NC Scroller
                      I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                      Today, 07:39 AM
                    Working...
                    X