Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RobertJ
    replied
    Just had my first experience cutting plexiglass with a scroll saw (really, anything other than wood.) It was my dad's small Ryobi one and I had to replace the back window that fell out of my truck's cap (it's 25+ years old). Was having all sorts of melting issues, not even helped by running the blade backwards. Packing tape saved the day. I suspect running a backwards blade with packing tape would work too.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry D Fisher
    replied
    I found that a very small gas torch melt sharp edges at least on plexi glass and should do the same on plastic. Remember don't hold the flame to close and use quick brushing strokes. Try this out on some of the fall off scraps to see if it works for you.

Leave a comment:

• wjbclocks1
    replied
    The best advise that I got for cutting any plastic was using clear packing tape.. I do that when cutting backing for my clocks.

Leave a comment:

• Fay P
    replied
    I cut a piece of plastiglass on my moto saw and it worked, but like one poster said the blade will heat up and melt the plastic, but I found once I got the blade out it snapped when I went to break the waste piece off the plastiglass. So I won't be cutting any of this unless I have to. Have a great day,, Fay

Leave a comment:

• wjbclocks1
    replied
    plexieglass

When I cut plexiglass I use clear packing tape on top of the patteren.

Leave a comment:

• ubgoofy2003
    replied
    I'm with you Rolf. I always use my propane torch after I'm finished cutting a piece of Acrylic. About cutting Acrylic. I cut a lot of it & I use whatever blade I choose. Most of the time, I cut my pieces with a spiral blade. If I have a lot of sharp corners or v's to cut, then I might use the flat blade. The only time I had a problem with melting, was when I stack cut two 1/4 in. pieces. Even then it was only in one spot & didn't create a problem. My Acrylic that I use is covered on both sides with paper & no problem cutting. I do have a pain pealing the adhesive paper off after finishing the piece. Good Luck cutting backwards, I'm sticking with the old standard. Of coarse I'm spoiled with my Acrylic pieces, because it is all free. ( scraps of all colors ) Heh Heh !

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    If you are CAREFUL with a small butane torch you can melt the edges takes the burr right off.

Leave a comment:

• journeyman
    replied
    I've recently cut several acrylic panels for coin boxes. I used the method that Mike M described with a polar #3 blade. I ran the saw at a slower speed and everyone cut perfectly with no welding back together. There was virtually no bur to rub off.
    Mick

Leave a comment:

• gcluff
    replied
    Greg

I just tried to cut pvc with my scroll saw and it welded together behind the blade. How can I stop this? Is there a special blade for pvc?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Plastiglas

If anybody cares .... lol ....
    I've been cutting LOTS of PVC pipe, light weight and heavier weight, from 1/2' to 1 1/2' diameter on my scroll saw and it cuts like butter. I used the blade that was already in there -- very small, probably old, I don't know size or anything.

I did the 'reaming' with my thumb and forefinger. If there's a tough snag I clip it off with a knife - which seems to work better than sandpaper.

Leave a comment:

• jttheclockman
    replied

Nancy

Have no fear use anything to cut pvc pipe from scrollsaw, tablesaw, bandsaw, chop saw, hacksaw, pvc cutter or anything but all will require you to ream the inside and file the outside. You can use a sharp knife to do both things. The thing we got started talking about is the use of a scrollsaw blade backwards to cut plexiglass but I think 99% of the sawers out there will use the proper scrollsaw blade and cut with the teeth. It was a thought that someday may come in handy.

Leave a comment:

• 3_M
    replied

Nancy,
    I cut some of the 3/4' PVC pipe for blade holders and always used my scroll saw with a Polar # 5 blade. You can use about any blade. Like Plain_Old_Ed is saying you can ream it out a little if you have to. I have some on my web site. Scroll down to my picture and you can see some clear once on a carousel and one I have screwed to the wall on an angel with the PVC pipe.
    Mike M

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

pvc pipe cutters (look like a pair of shears) are about 6.00 at home depot etc....easiest way to cut it!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

If I was going to cut a lot of pvc pipe, the first thing I'd try would be a tubing or pipe cutter. The kind plumbers use on copper pipe. Makes a nice smooth even cut. Leaves a little burr that can be easilly removed with the reamer included on most of the cutters. If you don't have one with a reamer, can be removed with a sharp knife or sandpape or ........

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Well ---- now I'm concerned. I need to cut a lot of small PVC pipe to make some paint brush holders. Can't I just cut that on my scroll saw?
    If not, what should I use?

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
    Reply to New Toy!
    by Rolf
    Quartz I only bought the air filter, That same model is sold by many distributors, I see Grizzly has it and several others. I was going to build one but this thing works great. I will get a charcoal filter for it also. Great when doing Pyrography. They also had a Pfingst brand flex shaft tool I haven't...
    Today, 07:50 AM
  • NC Scroller
    Reply to New Toy!
    by NC Scroller
    Nice score!
    Today, 06:16 AM
  • Quartz43
    Reply to New Toy!
    by Quartz43
    Wow...nice Foredom tool.
    Today, 06:08 AM
  • will8989
    Reply to EX dust collection holes screwed up a project.!
    by will8989
    Carole, only you would cut sprinkles on a scrollsaw. I would probably use rice and stain it. I just gave up replacing my insert. Its worn, but works for what I need. I do sand it to make sure there are no burrs sticking up to scratch the wood. I will be trying the new contact paper when mine runs...
    Yesterday, 08:16 PM
  • will8989
    Reply to Shawl pins
    by will8989
    Thick hair would need a larger opening, thinner hair would require a smaller opening to stay in place. The one being shown in the utube would probably work for thicker hair. They look way better than a pencil or dowel! That elephant sure is cute in her hair!.
    Yesterday, 08:09 PM
Working...
X