X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will8989
    replied
    Re: Plastiglas

Well here's a third opinion. I am cutting a dragon 12' circle windchime out of nairoc (or whatever that plastic corian is called) and am using Mike's #7 Reverse blade and having no problems at all. I have a variable speed and have slowed it down to around 600rpm and it works very well for me. I am about 3/4 finished and am only on my 2nd blade. Just take this one slow, slow, slow.

Leave a comment:

• BobD
    replied

Mike,
    You have a lot more experience than I do!!! No need to apologize! I'm still figuring out about the different scroll saw blades and their kerf. I was commenting more on how to fix the problem after it happens...your solution prevents it from even happening!!

Bob

Leave a comment:

• 3_M
    replied

Hei Dena,

Sorry Bob but I have to disagree with you about cutting plastic or acrylic. You should not use a blade with reverse teeth. The best one is the Polar # 3 or 5. The teeth are off-set a little, which helps to keep the kerf clean. Use 2' clear package tape over the pattern, it eliminates that the sides melt back together and you don't have to do any sanding. Sanding might even discolor the acrylic. I don't know what a fine crocus cloth is.
    The speed can be from 1/2 t0 3/4.

Mike M

Leave a comment:

• BobD
    replied

Dena,
    Acrylic is tough because as your blade heats up (normal friction from cutting) the acrylic can actually melt back together. I don't know what speed you're cutting at, but I reccomend a slow speed.

Another option to de-bur the acrylic is to use some sort of fine rotary cutting tool (like a dremel tool) Use a very fine cutting burr (not a diamond or stone wheel) and a light touch. That way you have a cut rounded edge rather than a sanded one.

Hope this helps!

Bob Duncan
    Editor, Scroll Saw Workshop

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Plastiglas

Plastiglas

Hello,
    I have not been scroll sawing for very long and trying different woods and plastics. I am making the 12 Days of Christmas in transparent acrylic plastic and the edges are coming out pretty sharp to the touch. I have been using a fine crocus cloth and it does pretty well, but was wondering what is best? I am using FD-SR #3 / 7 rev. teeth. Is there a better blade # to use? Thank for any suggestions.
    Dena F

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
    Reply to My lucky day!
    by Linda In Phoenix
    Arizona opened up vaccines to 55 and over this past week. Appointments at the county mass vaccine sites filled up within a few hours. Today I got online to my grandson's pediatrician's office, as I heard they were doing them to help the community. It took 5 minutes to snag an appointment for tomorrow...
    Yesterday, 11:49 PM
  • Linda In Phoenix
    Reply to Eagle
    by Linda In Phoenix
    That's one pretty piece of wood and a very nice cutting. The story that goes with it and your father's love for wood make it even more special. May all that wood make you feel close to him always. Hold on to those memories of him to carry you through the Alzheimers, and for many years after. The...
    Yesterday, 11:45 PM
  • rhw80
    Reply to website to generate portraits from photos
    by rhw80
    This one? https://online.rapidresizer.com/phot...to-pattern.php
    Yesterday, 08:41 PM
  • martzy
    Eagle
    by martzy
    My father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's this last summer. We had to move him into a nursing home because he couldn't take care of himself anymore. He used to run a successful wood shop. He made shooting benches, picnic tables, porch swings, among other things. My cousin bought his property so we...
    Yesterday, 05:43 PM
  • jim_mex
    Reply to Darkening oak
    by jim_mex
    Hi Jim - a long while back I did a series of ebonizing tests using the steel wool and vinegar method on a variety of woods. On white oak the color turns out to be a light grey. On red oak its a much darker grey black. To get the best out of ebonizing i.e. the blackest coloration the wood needs t o be...
    Yesterday, 04:50 PM
Working...
X