Jatoba and Nogal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jatoba and Nogal

Am I right in thinking that Jatoba -brazilian cherry - will darken with age as cherry does?

And does anyone know anything about nogal?
    Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Both those names sound like a CB Designs pattern

Check out this link for nogal info, well pictures at least. This is the biggest collection of wood pictures I have seen yet.
    I know it has become popular for wood flooring recently.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

wood info from http://www.kestrelcreek.com/Wood.htm

Date (Aleurites moluccana) (Acrot, Candlenut, Lumbang, Nogal, Ragua, and Wild date) Date wood is commonly used for crates, construction, veneer, exterior and interior furniture, millwork, shingles and wooden shoes. Date trees are found throughout India, Southeast Asia and Indonesia. Date wood dries slowly and is prone to cupping and twisting. The sawdust is an irritant and may be toxic. Date wood is naturally resistant to insects and decay. Date wood works best with very sharp tools.

Jatoba: Brazilian Cherry. Very hard, deep red with some brown and black, occasional golden tones.

I've used Jatoba, nice stuff, hard, and turns brown over time. Never used Date (Nogal) so cannot comment.
      ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

I have a piece of Nogal. I think it's african Walnut, but I never used it. It's one of those pieces of wood I keep stashed but don't use because I like it just the way it is. I have a cabinet full of wood that I don't use because I like it just the way it is, go figure. I think that's my wood collection, and every so often I pull some out and look at it, then put it back because...well I don't know, I just want it to be a board ?
        Jeff Powell

Comment

Thanks for the links Carl and Bearfretworks - interesting sites. Found another couple of sites which calls the Nogal "tropical walnut" which seems nearer to Jeff's info.

http://www.hardwoodgallery.com/woods.htm and http://www.windsorplywood.com/tropical_woods/nogal.html ( I think the latter has been mentioned on here before)

Both of the pieces I mentioned I got were just from a "scrap" bin at the one of hardwood lumber places in Halifax.

The jatoba is hard but cuts nicely and looks good with just a coat of tung oil on but the nogal looks a little "flat" - and it has been making me sneeze and my eyes itch!!!! Think I might avoid it!
          Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

American walnut is a cause of concern for allergies with alot of people, so perhaps Nogal does the same..me i just look at my piece of nogal, and use american walnut. Also, you may not be allergic to walnut, but when the dust mixes with another wood, lets say oak, then it can become a catalyst that makes the walnut dust active. It can be very dangerous and cause chemical pneumonia which could kill you, so be careful with woods of all kinds, especially mixed together. There's alot of articles out and about on these situations.
            Jeff Powell

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X