Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood

What is the best wood (plywood) for the scroll saw (fretsaw)? I've heard good things about the birch, but i'm not sure because i want to buy some sheets of various thicknesses.

Thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english!

Baltic birch is probably the favorite plywood among most scrollers. Finnish birch is very comparable. This is different than birch veneered plywood, so make sure you know what you are getting.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Baltic birch is easy to work with and usually not that expensive. You can buy sheets of various thicknesses and there is no leftover because you will always find something else to make when you finish your project.
      Diane
      Dragon
      Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
      Owner of a Dewalt 788
      PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

It partly depends on what you want to cut and how thick the wood should be. For my 1/4" jigsaw puzzles, I prefer 5-ply poplar from Wildwood Designs. It's the purest poplar I have found and the poplar cuts easier (using fewer blades) and the resulting puzzle is tighter than Baltic Birch. Try some.....

Above all, have phun! Carter

Comment

Carter,
          You have peeked my curiosity, if you use the same blade why is the poplar tighter than the birch ply?
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I've kind of wondered about that myself.

I used Baltic Burch for a many years before switching to Poplar. I didn't get mine from Wildwood like Carter, so my experience might differ.

Here's my theory:
            When I cut puzzles on BB the blade leaves the cut edges shiny, burnished if you will, so when the pieces go together there is less friction between them and they appear to be easier to get apart. Maybe BB has more dense fibers?

Poplar, on the other hand, seems like a less dense wood. So when I cut a puzzle, using the same blades, same saw speed etc.., the resulting cut isn't as shiny or burnished as the Birch. I'll bet if you compare the cut surfaces from the 2, under magnification, the poplar would have, what appears to be, more ragged fibers. Of course you don't see this with the naked eye, but the less burnished cut would seem to have a tendency to "hang" together better, and appear to be tighter.?

I don't know, maybe I'm just over thinking it.
            -Richard-

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• handibunny
              Reply to Having a Betty week
              by handibunny
              Sorry to hear of your refrigerator troubles, but glad that Jane is doing well. Hope her recovery continues in that direction. Please send her our regards!
              Today, 03:11 PM
            • Bill Wilson
              Reply to And now for the questions
              by Bill Wilson
              Improvisation is certainly acceptable, but some patterns are less forgiving than others. As someone else already said, learn to follow the lines as closely as possible. If you wander from the pattern lines, it is usually best if it is intentional. It takes some time and practice, so don't get too...
              Today, 01:00 PM
            • markdavd
              Reply to And now for the questions
              by markdavd
              The lines matter if you are making a multi-layer project if you need things to line up, otherwise it's artist's interpretation.
              Today, 11:24 AM
            • RJweb
              Reply to Having a Betty week
              by RJweb
              Good luck for your wife and hope she is feeling better, that sucks on the refrigerator, RJ...
              Today, 11:03 AM
            • RJweb
              Reply to How to start the day
              by RJweb
              Good to hear, supporting the local business, we had our roof replaced back in September they had 11 (9 guys 2 girls ). Down here they only do 1 layer, so they removed old and replace any bad roof plywood, they did a great job, RJ...
              Today, 10:58 AM
            Working...
            X