wood finishing problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood finishing problem

i recently built a small table and wanted to do a stain finish with polyetholene spray over it ,i sprayed too many coatings on it. i have been advised to lite sand and steel wool the finish applying bees wax,does anyone have a better idea? karen12 hubby

Iassume the reason you were asking this question was because the finnish had "runs" in it.....not rally much else you can do IF THIS IS THE CASE. gotta get everything leveled out so its nice and smooth and basically start over....i find that complete removal is not alway needed to restore an "oops" to a decent job. depending on the "oops" amount a considerable amount of elbow grease might be needed. next time, you will at least have the advantage of knowing what went wrong and be able to prevent it from re-occurng. We all make our share of "oops"....... Enjoy your hobby.

Comment

What exactly is the problem with the finish?
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

actually no runs . just lots of poly' due to the air presure and that the finish was flat . with no gloss , hard to tell when it was covered, if it werent for the air pressure there would be lots of runs..........gary

Comment

I'm quite interested in this and a little confused. I'm assuming that the you had a good smooth surface when you sprayed and that it was gloss poly?

I've sprayed too much in a single coat and it's either formed runs, little puddles or when it's been too cool (wouldn't think this is the problem) the poly hasn't gone off. Any chance you have a duff can of poly?
          Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Comment

What kind of look are you trying to achieve? What was the gloss of the spray finish you used? Gloss, semi-gloss, satin? Is the surface currently rough?

Just trying to get a handle on where you are at. The original suggestion to lightly sand and apply wax with steel wool would work if you find the current finish too glossy and rough to the touch. If you want a glossy finish and the current one is too dull, it may be as simple as applying a light coat or 2 of a gloss polyurethane (presuming you used semi-gloss or satin originally). Or you may want to go through the effort of rubbing out the finish, which involves several steps of sanding with progressively higher grit sandpaper and them buffing to the desired sheen with steel wool and buffing compound.

There are a lot of things that need to be considered, so bear with me as I ask so many questions.
            Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Beeswax is very soft (I know, we keep bees). If I were going to use wax, I would mix beeswax with Carnouba wax. What kind of finish are you looking for? I use matte spray acrylic varnish on lots of things. It is not incredibly shiny, just protects the finish. for a high gloss you need to sand between coats. However for furniture, I would not use this. I would either sand down and oil or use the wax as above.

Good luck
              Sue

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                Reply to My lucky day!
                by Rolf
                When I see the long lines of people waiting outside all over, I realize just how lucky we are....
                Today, 09:50 AM
              • Rolf
                Saw tuneups
                by Rolf
                I tend to be a bit scattered when it comes to projects, I get bored and move to something else mid stream. It seems to be getting worse with age,

Any way I decided to tune up both of my saws, the EX 16 and my Hawk G4-26. I thought I had the EX perfectly square to the table until I cut...
                Today, 09:47 AM
              • NC Scroller
                Reply to Darkening oak
                by NC Scroller
                Is this too dark?
                Ebonizing Wood - FineWoodworking
                Today, 09:19 AM
              • NC Scroller
                Reply to My lucky day!
                by NC Scroller
                Great news. I know from personal experience getting the vaccine has been a great uplift to me. It gives a new hope that the worst is truly behind us. In the US we did not have a choice in most cases. You got whatever you got. My wife and I both had the Pfizer one and had minimal issues like: arm...
                Today, 09:12 AM
              • Jim McDonald
                Darkening oak
                by Jim McDonald
                Sometime back, there was some discussion about darkening oak. I have used the search and found something about fuming with ammonia, but I think there was another method using vinegar.
                I have a suspicion it may have been lost in the software change.
                Any guidance appreciated.
                Today, 09:10 AM
              Working...
              X