Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Power over temtation

A little lead up. Long winded, sorry
    I am still working on the front of my house after the new steps, walkway and drive way. I also pressure washed the house and have started to stain it. I look at the picture of the house and on the right side the horizontal vinyl siding just doesn’t look right so we decided to change it to the vertical plank and batten like the rest of the front.
    Went to a real lumber yard that sells Cypress ( 5.50 a BD foot) that would have been $440 for this small section so we opted for Cedar (3.20 a bd ft). We bought one 16 ft cypress plank and 9 6ft x12” Cedar. I still need to finish staining and put the battens on the garage side.

Now here is the gist of my post picking through the cedar for minimum figure was painful, all I kept seeing was Intarsia projects. Some of that cedar was awesome with color variation and figure and I walked away from it. But I know where it lives and I don’t have to go all the way to Jeffries in TN to get it.
    Attached Files
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

That's funny Rolf. Nice looking place, by the way.

Better go get that figured Cedar before some contractor or DIY'er buys it all up for siding.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Turned out great.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Nice place Rolf. My house is the same style using cedar. It's amazing how well it stands up to the weather. I have a two story and have only restained it once. That was enough. Next time I'll let the professionals handle it.
        Keith

Comment

BTW, the new path looks great! (House does too, of course.) Maybe the cedar will still be there when you need it.
          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Now all we need is some sunshine for a few days so that the grass will grow and I can finish painting.
            Keith,
            The siding (put on by prior owner) is only on the front of the house and the side where the garage attaches to the house so it is not such a big job. The tough part will be the dog houses as my roof is a 12 pitch.
            Rolf

Comment

Hi Rolf - your 'extreme makeover' is coming together really nice. Changing that boarding orientation adds so much to the overall look.

As to that cedar, the trick is to choose planks that are way over length and then you can convince yourself that the off-cuts will make for better intarsia projects than kindling!
              Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
              - Albert Einstein

Comment

Great shot of the entire house, with the new driveway etc. What a worthwhile project! I too got a good chuckle over your temptation and resistance exercise - I can't say whether you won or lost, but it would sure have been a trial for me. I LOVE the different colors and patterns in cedar!

Comment

Your house looks great Rolf but where's the dog? Your previous walkway post of photos had the dog looking out thru the storm door.
                  Maybe you will have some scraps left over for a scrolling project. Sweeeet!
                  Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

The Dog, stir fried.

She was probably sleeping.
                    No scraps just a few slivers where I cut a drip bevel on the bottom edges.
                    Rolf

Comment

Nice job Rolf. You have more self control than I do.

george
                      A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                      George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Just be careful..Don't go pulling pieces off of the house for scroll work...hehe

Great looking house...
                        Is that a mailbox at the end of the path...??
                        Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                        No task is too tedious for Art.
                        Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                        Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Yes Jim it is a mailbox.
                          Our neighborhood has been grandfathered we don't have to put it at the curb yet.
                          They mailman still walks the route door to door. Years ago our mailman used to stop at several houses for a wakeup shot.
                          Rolf

Comment

I am with Bill here. Go grab the wood before someone else does. Been there.
                            Scott
                            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X