Lead Weights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead Weights?

Still making that chess set. I want to weight the pieces (for a quality feel) with something heavy and dense (NOT my skull). I can't find lead anywhere except in industrial quantity and I don't need 500 lbs. Any ideas? I thought I'd drill a 3/4" X 3/4" hole in the bases, add the weight and seal, and finish off with a good felt bottom. I've tried plumbners and bullet casters with no luck.
    All suggestions will be appreciated.

Dave

Look in the roofing section of the big box stores...
    The stuff for flashing chimneys should work fine. It's very malleable. I have some for those book-ends I've yet to make...lol.
    Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
    No task is too tedious for Art.
    Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
    Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Split shot sinkers in the fishing department?
      Douglas Fraser
      Eagle River, Alaska

My Gallery - Aurora Wood Crafts

Comment

Try your local sporting goods store and get fishing weights...they can be pounded into almost any shape...

OOPs looks like Douglas and I were posting at the same time. I must be a slower typist...oh well still good suggestions..
        Last edited by wood-n-things; 04-16-2012, 10:09 AM.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Like Doug and Mike said, fishing weights work great. Your other option is to find someone who does stained glass and have them pour some of their melted solder into the holes you drilled.

george
          A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
          George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

You can stop by a local tire shop and they will usually give the used weights from balancing tires. Then you just melt them down and pour into a mold whatever size you need.
            Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Hi Dave - I'm not sure whether it's still available in the US due to H&S concerns but I buy lead buckshot from the local shooting store when I want to weigh things down. Its small enough to fill a bore hole with and real easy to use.
              Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
              - Albert Einstein

Comment

Try your local diving club (If there is one) as the lead weights they use is lead shot in bags as this shapes to thier body and makes it more comfortable to dive with.
                Regards graham
                Keep on scrolling

Comment

Wow! What great ideas. Thanks to all for taking time to help me out.

Comment

I drilled a hole with my Forstner bit and put in 4 nickels when I made some small clocks to give them a little weight, epoxied them in and glued some felt to the bottom....... another suggestion for ya.
                    Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Battery repair shops and recycling centers also have used lead, usually for the price of scrap.

Bob

Comment

Stores that sell Pinewood derby cars sell lead weights for them as well. Melt them down and pour it in.

Todd

Comment

I don't want to buck other suggestions but I'd be wary about pouring molten lead in the bases. The instant localized heat can cause wood to discolour or even split particularly if the chess pieces have relatively thin side walls.

I'd play safe and go for preformed lead slugs or shot mixed with a bit of resin to stop any rattling sounds.

Just my take....
                          Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                          - Albert Einstein

Comment

Years back I made a couple of lamps that came out beeing a little unstable. I came to the conclusion that some lead in the feet would be the solution, but the problem that then arised was thin side walls after boring out the feet from the bottom. Pouring hot lead into the feet directly was out of question, but the solution i came up with was very simple! I bored holes in scraps of same kind of wood, but a little shallower then the holes in the feet. I made as many holes as the number of feet, and took care that the grain direction was the same in both scrap and feet. I then pured molten lead into the holes in the scrap. After the weights cooled down, I moved them to the feet. Since they didn't fill the feet all up, I had room for wooden plugs to complete the feet with. - A little longish way to describe how to make "preformed lead slugs" as suggested by jim_mex (aka JAM....)
                            Ivar ("treslakter" - read as "woodbutcher")

The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time. (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Comment

Golf supply stores have lead powder or lead shot for professionally weighting golf clubs. Small quantities and relatively inexpensive.
                              God Bless! Spirithorse

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X