Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for exotic woods

Hello,

I am new to scroll sawing and now that my scroll saw stand is just about complete I have been looking for patterns/ potential projects. I noticed a lot of the patterns call for exotic woods that are not very accessible. I searched the web and I see Woodcraft and Rockler see pretty much everything, not sure if prices are good or not, they seem high. Where do you get your exotic woods from?

Next, I wouldn't worry at all with exotic's yet. Use what you have or can obtain cheap or free. A good portion of the enjoyment for me is scrounging stock.
    Yard sales to junk piles old doors, pallets just about anything can be used.
    You'll be surprised how often you will find nice hard woods in junk piles
    May the wind at you back .....
    Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

I agree with Oily. When I started scrolling, I bought a large sheet of glued up pine that was relatively free of knots, and got a lot of mileage out of it. I liked the 3/4" thickness because the blade is easier to control than with thinner wood.

Most of the big box stores carry poplar, and you can often get maple and oak. The local Loew's carries those woods in 1/2" and 1/4" thickness, as well as 3/4". If you choose carefully, you can get some nice wood. If there is a cabinet shop near you, you can often get the cut-offs for little or nothing. If you do scrounge, watch out for wood with nails, bad knots, warping, and other problems. A piece that is well-cut will look good, no matter what wood you use.

That said, I've relied on Ocooch for exotics and thin woods that I could not get elsewhere. Their pricing is fair, and their service is excellent. Do check out your local lumberyards--they may carry far more than your expect.

And I still have some of the pieces I cut from the glued up pine, and they still look good!
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Here is a site that makes it easy just type in the species you are looking for and your zip code and it will list the closest places to get it. Woodfinder: Find Sources of Lumber, Veneer and Sawmill Services
        Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help. I just finished my dust collection system, need to tidy up the electrical and stain the wood parts of my stand and I will be ready to start making some saw dust. I have been picking up some Olson blades (PGT, Spiral and Reverse Tooth) to start playing with, I will likely pick up some Flying Dutchman Blades as well since they have such a strong following. Once I get everything buttoned up I will be honing my skills in preparation for my first project which I beleive will be a wooden lock.

Comment

Another good source. If someone in your area sells fire wood. My guy stocks alot of wayne wood (slab) and give it to me by the trunk load. He is also great for cutting rounds and he lets me poke around and I find nice big chunks and he splits it into about 1" slabs and i run them through the planer to smooth them to the thickness I want.
            I find wood all over, I cut it to length and re saw with with an electric chain saw, saws all, table saw etc then plane it
            Attached Files
            May the wind at you back .....
            Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X