Choosing wood for a chess set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing wood for a chess set

I'm scrolling a chess set for my oldest son. The pieces will be cut from 1 1/2" stock; oversized I know, but that's what he wants. I've chosen cherry for the dark pieces but I'm at a loss as to what wood to use for the light pieces. I want something (hardwood) with little or no noticable colored grain, but I want it fairly easy to machine. Any suggestions will be more than welcome.

Thanks,

Dave

Maple comes to mind.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Poplar is pretty soft and light grained and is relatively easy to cut. I haven't cut any holly so I don't know how easy or hard it is work with but I did see some at my wood store a while ago and it was white with no grain at all, I am going to pick some up next time I get over there, but the store is only open from 8 to 4 M-F... hard to get there when your working.

Remember that cherry will "burn" or scorch easily.
      Douglas Fraser
      Eagle River, Alaska

My Gallery - Aurora Wood Crafts

Comment

Dave; I used walnut for the dark and ash for the light. The ash does have grain, I used the white part of the ash. When I cut the ash I used a olsen # 5 precision blade, it stopped the burning. Don

Comment

I used walnut and oak for my chess set. If you are set on cherry, maybe use that for light and go with cherry and walnut?

Comment

Well . . I settled on walnut and maple. Would have liked to use the cherry but didn't want to take a chance on burning what with all the intricate curves, etc.

Thanks Guys

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• wjbclocks1
              Reply to Big week here
              by wjbclocks1
              Enjoy life, Congrat....
              Today, 01:30 PM
            • Jim McDonald
              Reply to New tools
              by Jim McDonald
              Good luck getting ANY of that garden space!
              Today, 01:24 PM
            • Jim McDonald
              Big week here
              by Jim McDonald
              Well friends quite a week here on the prairie.
              Long back story, but our son was adamant we get a fast response COVID test last Saturday, so we could attend an outdoor gathering of his girlfrigirlfriend's family. About an hour into the ATV and dirt bike riding, he got off the 4-wheeler and dropped...
              Today, 01:20 PM
            • Quartz43
              Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
              by Quartz43
              Earlier, I posted a question on where to get them. Someone suggested Amazon and that is where I got them.
              Today, 01:08 PM
            • jim_mex
              New tools
              by jim_mex
              Hi all - our recent home remodeling project has involved me getting back into my workshed after a lengthy absence to do some work to 'assist' the workmen on the job plus I now have a string of home furniture projects to look at undertaking now we have moved back into our home.

I decided...
              Today, 01:07 PM
            Working...
            X