Choosing wood for a chess set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing wood for a chess set

I'm scrolling a chess set for my oldest son. The pieces will be cut from 1 1/2" stock; oversized I know, but that's what he wants. I've chosen cherry for the dark pieces but I'm at a loss as to what wood to use for the light pieces. I want something (hardwood) with little or no noticable colored grain, but I want it fairly easy to machine. Any suggestions will be more than welcome.

Thanks,

Dave

Maple comes to mind.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Poplar is pretty soft and light grained and is relatively easy to cut. I haven't cut any holly so I don't know how easy or hard it is work with but I did see some at my wood store a while ago and it was white with no grain at all, I am going to pick some up next time I get over there, but the store is only open from 8 to 4 M-F... hard to get there when your working.

Remember that cherry will "burn" or scorch easily.
      Douglas Fraser
      Eagle River, Alaska

My Gallery - Aurora Wood Crafts

Comment

Dave; I used walnut for the dark and ash for the light. The ash does have grain, I used the white part of the ash. When I cut the ash I used a olsen # 5 precision blade, it stopped the burning. Don

Comment

I used walnut and oak for my chess set. If you are set on cherry, maybe use that for light and go with cherry and walnut?

Comment

Well . . I settled on walnut and maple. Would have liked to use the cherry but didn't want to take a chance on burning what with all the intricate curves, etc.

Thanks Guys

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim McDonald
              Reply to Bible stand
              by Jim McDonald
              A quick Google search for fretwork book stands showed pattern on Pinterest. Might be worth a look.
              Today, 12:39 PM
            • Quartz43
              Reply to Spring Issue
              by Quartz43
              I agree that with fret work the grey areas may be useful but not needed for Intarsia and some others. It would not be difficult to use grey for some patterns and just lines on others.

Another thing to note is that not many have the ability, software or equipment to stitch patterns back...
              Today, 11:02 AM
            • Rolf
              Reply to YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router
              by Rolf
              This is only my opinion.

Hi Linda, My first reaction is it looks good, and my new toy craving started to twitch, but I thing it will be very limiting very quickly.

It is a small engraving machine and if that is what you want and need maybe OK. You are limited to 1/8 shank...
              Today, 10:25 AM
            • millwab
              Reply to Peanuts #1
              by millwab
              I still have some puzzle blades from Ben Fink. Once I run out of them I’ll have to ask Denny what he recommends for a substitute....
              Today, 09:56 AM
            • Rolf
              Reply to Spring Issue
              by Rolf
              [QUOTE=Quartz43;n873079]No doubt, the large patterns are a real challenge. Not many have a large size printer. Going out and finding a place to do large scans and prints is problematic with the virus and many of us are older.

I wish they would not print the patterns with the grey. Pure...
              Today, 09:47 AM
            Working...
            X