Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJoZ
    replied
    I don't know a lot about dogs, so this might be out there. As far as colors, the eye is drawn to light colors before dark colors. Sometimes the black background makes the image.

Leave a comment:

• Minnesota scroller
    replied
    Bruce, here is a photo of the liver and white springer I used to hunt with. Just don't expect to match the colors perfectly. It's not going to happen.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Neal Moore
    replied
    It's sort of a reddish brown like raw calves liver....maybe a mahogany. But don't use red mahogany...it's too red.

Leave a comment:

• millwab
    replied
    I found out last nite that he was liver/white. I guess a brown backer then. How dark of a brown should I look for?

Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Neal Moore
    replied
    As far as I know there are three color variations in Springer Spaniels: Black and White -Liver and White and Orange and white like Brittany Spaniels. If the dog is the Orange and White variety you could leave the BB natural and stain the backer Colonial Maple. The nose and eyes generally approximate the color of the spots in both Springers and Brittanys. Just a thought.....

Leave a comment:

• sheltiecarver
    replied
    Bruce,
    Since all springers are white with something, (actually, something with white!) Baltic Birch seems perfect. Save your oak for something that would benefit from the beautiful grain. And I agree with the choice of black or really dark brown backer - depending on the color of the springer you are portraying.
    Good luck on your project.
    Sandy

Leave a comment:

• Minnesota scroller
    replied
    It kinda depends on what color the springer is. I had a springer that was liver and white but most springers are black and white. Personally, I use a black backer for everything with BB. If I was going to be particular, I would still stick to a lighter colored wood like BB and go with the black backer if it's a black and white dog and a dark brown backer with BB if it's liver and white. But like I said, I'm not fussy.

Leave a comment:

• millwab
    started a topic Color help

Color help

Scrollers,
    I could use some help. I've been asked to do a Springer Spaniel portrait and have a question about materials (since I'm "color challenged' this is more of a problem than you would expect). Would a Springer look better cut out of oak with a black backer, cut out of BB (or something else light colored) with a brown backer, or some other combination? I really can't tell with my eyes and would appreciate any feedback.

Bruce

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X