Plywood vs MDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plywood vs MDF

I've seen many post they cut puzzles from plywood. Has anyone ever used MDF with a veneer instead? Any significant differences between these two I should be aware of?
    Sawdust King

If there is one thing I can make perfect every time it is sawdust.

Just my opinions but...

DUST - Cutting MDF produces an incredibly fine dust that is difficult to collect.
    MOISTURE - MDF likes to absorb moisture and swell so I'm not sure it is suitable for use when you are making locking pieces for puzzles.
    EDGE - I find that MDF has a tendency to edge chip much more easily than plywood.

george
    A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
    George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

I agree with George on his points. MDF breaks rather easily and I would be afraid any mishandling would break off the interlocking tabs, creating a choking hazard...
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Thanks. I had seen MDF where I can get Baltic Birch and with the different veneers and appearance of a solid core was wondering if it would be a viable alternative to plywood. I'll take it as a no and stick with the plywoods.

Thanks again.
        Sawdust King

If there is one thing I can make perfect every time it is sawdust.

Comment

Hi

I make lots of things with MDF and do not find it a problem all, especially when you are paiting it. I use a vacuum cleaner attached to my saw, the dust does not create much mess (I wear a mask for cutting everything). I have never had a problem with it breaking, I often have pieces break out of ply. As for swelling, I think you would have to immerse it in water and ply would't stand up to that either. I have not used veneered MDF. Go for it, I would if I had some local availability.

Sue

Comment

I did the Tiger Butterfly a few years ago and used MDF for the backing. I ended up painting the MDF and in my opinion I liked it better than the plywood and I am not a good painter. No chips, No swelling I may have been lucky.

Comment

This was discussed a month ago and people pointed out that MDF has formaldehyde in it. HDF / hardyboard does not however. I found HDF at Home Depot and/or Lowes but can't recall what it was called...hard board or some such thing. I did not buy any - only came in 4x8 sheets and decided to use plywood. I like the idea of MDF/HDF (for adults) though since people are used to that type of material for puzzles, and it should be flat - not warped like plywood.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                Reply to New tools
                by jim_mex
                Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                Yesterday, 11:14 PM
              • Hobbyhorse
                Reply to New tools
                by Hobbyhorse
                Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                Yesterday, 11:03 PM
              • Hobbyhorse
                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                by Hobbyhorse
                Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
              • KarlB
                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                by KarlB
                Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                Yesterday, 09:41 PM
              • KarlB
                Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                by KarlB
                Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                Yesterday, 09:31 PM
              Working...
              X