Sycamore and Walnut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sycamore and Walnut?

I have bought some walnut and sycamore (just less than 2 inches thick) to make the pieces for my new chess project. Will I be able to cope with such thick wood, and please can you tell me which type of blade I need to use.
    UKhttp://www.youtube.com/user/michaelsscrollsaw
    sigpic

That will depend upon the clearance on your particular saw. if it will accept that thickness you can cut it. I would use no less than a #7 blade and probably not a reverse tooth blade. You will really need to keep your feed rate slow, let the blade dictate the speed of your cut, do not make it bow or you will not be pleased with the outcome.

I watched your video (Eiffel tower cutting), so i see you already have the patience thing down.....<smile>
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 12-28-2011, 12:01 PM.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Thankyou very much, but what do you mean by the feed rate?
      sigpic

Comment

2" thick is stretching the max capacity of most scroll saws. Neither sycamore nor walnut are especially hard, so as long as it fits within your saw, cutting it shouldn't be too much of a problem. As Mike said, a larger blade would be called for, perhaps a skip tooth. The size will depend on how tight the turns are in the patterns. Use the largest with which you can readily navigate the pattern. Skip tooth blades have larger spaces between the teeth, for better chip clearance, which reduces friction and heat build up and helps extend blade life.

Feed rate is basically how hard/fast you are pushing the wood into the blade. This is different from blade speed, which is dictated by the speed control setting on the saw.
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Thankyou very much Bill, that's a lot clearer now.
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for helping out Bill. I've been preoccupied with research today.
            "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
            Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

The thickest I cut was 1 1/2" cherry or walnut, and used a 7 or 9 skip tooth blade. Worked great.
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• markdavd
                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                by markdavd
                I've been using the bags from Amazon and a heat gun my wife bought when she was a preschool teacher. Unless you are wrapping of small parts, you don't need a sealer. Just fold it over and hold it with a small piece of scotch tape on the back. After you shrink it it's sealed enough to keep everything...
                Today, 09:45 AM
              • NC Scroller
                by NC Scroller
                My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
                Today, 07:42 AM
              • will8989
                by will8989
                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                Today, 12:20 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                by Linda In Phoenix
                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                by will8989
                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                Yesterday, 10:32 AM
              Working...
              X