Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What cloth is best for a back ground on a cutting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What cloth is best for a back ground on a cutting?

Just wondering what every one has found to be the best for gluing behind a wood cutting as well as what gives the best appearance.Cotton or silk etc?

I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum to maximize traffic and get you more responses to your request/question.
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 12-19-2011, 10:01 AM.

I use felt squares myself. Silk is prone to snagging on those little splinters you may over look.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

You can use anything that works for you. I use a square of foam that I found at Michael's craft store here. It's about 12 inches x 16 inches & works real nice for me. Also, they come in different colors too. I mostly use black. I have also used a felt, but, can't find it any more. Some use a 1/8 in. baltic birch ply & paint it black or whatever is necessary. Good Luck
      PERK

Comment

I use the felt squares (not square 8X10 1/2) from Wall Mart for 20 cents each. Been doing it for years and never a problem. But I also use Glass to cover the Shadow Work. They do collect dust.
        Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
        Jean De La Bruyere...

l
        Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Black felt I bought a whole bolt for 10 dollars a couple years ago at a fabric store just after Halloween. I may never run out.
          fredfret
          wichita, ks

Comment

I mostly use felt but am always trying different things. Hard to believe but one of the nicest I used behind a Jesus with Cross picture was 150 grit maroon colored sandpaper! You never know what works best. The sandpaper idea came from just laying the cutting down on it while looking for something else,
            Bernie

Comment

I've used all sorts of things, but mostly I have bits of cloth from an old New England fabric store that's been around since I can remember. My Mom and Grandma used to go there to get stuff to make clothes with. (ok, that shows my age...lol).
              I use maroon, black, and grey mostly. I got them in the bargain dept. for next to nothing....
              Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
              No task is too tedious for Art.
              Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
              Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

I mostly use 1/16 ply which I can paint in any color I want. I even paint different parts, different colors to highlight different parts of a cutting. It also allows me to glue the cutting to the backer. That said, I am open to using cloth or felt, or even paper to back a picture.

george
                A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

I also use felt. If it gets dusty, just use a small piece of painters tape to clean it. Cleans without pulling thr fibers up.

Paul
                  www.flicker.com/photos/woodworks44224

Comment

I have used felt even different colors on the same piece, painted backgrounds and fabric that I swiped from my mothers sewing room. I would not use paper as it tends to fade in light.

Comment

When I have a 'floating' cutting, i.e. one that is not a fill of a frame, I have used scrap booking paper in the same theme for the backing.

Here is a sample.

John

Old Dust
                      Attached Files

Comment

Qlty , thanks for the question . I had not considered the use of other material for backing other than wood .
                        Roger

Comment

Hey! That works! hehe nice idea, looks really good.
                          The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X