How do I keep discs from cracking??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I keep discs from cracking??

Yesterday I had to cut down a couple of birch trees that were damaged in the hurricane we had this past summer, and while I was at it, I sliced of a few 6" disks, mainly for wood burning. They're fresh green wood.
    How do I keep them from splitting or warping??
    They're about 1/4" to 1/2" thick....
    Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
    No task is too tedious for Art.
    Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
    Featherwood Woodcrafts

Jim, Soak them for several hours in denatured alcohol or methanol. Let them drip dry and wrap them in brown paper or newsprint for a couple weeks.
    If you use methanol wear glove and don't breath the fumes. That's the antifreeze in blue windshield washer fluid. You should be able to find at Auto quick Lubes. You can also find them both online .
    May the wind at you back .....
    Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Let us know how that works for you Jim.
      I always thought that if you leave the pith in the center it will always crack.
      When I prep wood for turning I seal both ends with a wax solution it slows the drying time down and hopefuly eliminates or slows the cracking. But I don't normaly do the entire log cross section.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I had some cedar slabs that I tried to prevent from cracking using both methods above. It didn't work. I then tried to microwave them and that didn't work. So I did get some good smelling firewood.
        Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
        Jean De La Bruyere...

l
        Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

The biggest tip I can offer is don't let them dry to quickly. Quick drying tends to cause splits. Turn them often also to allow for even drying.
          Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
            Reply to New tools
            by jim_mex
            Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
            Yesterday, 11:14 PM
          • Hobbyhorse
            Reply to New tools
            by Hobbyhorse
            Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
            Yesterday, 11:03 PM
          • Hobbyhorse
            Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
            by Hobbyhorse
            Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
            Yesterday, 10:58 PM
          • KarlB
            Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
            by KarlB
            Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
            Yesterday, 09:41 PM
          • KarlB
            Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
            by KarlB
            Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
            Yesterday, 09:31 PM
          Working...
          X