1" Thick Maple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1" Thick Maple

I got this free from a co-worker who furniture builds, and he gave me a bunch of his scraps. This piece is 11.5" x 10.5", I've never cut maple before and don't know how it will cut. I'm undecided if I should cut it down into smaller pieces or leave it 1 piece . Any help well appreciated as always!
    Dan

My Gallery

Leave it in one piece until you know what you will be doing with it.
    Maple cuts very nicely for wood that thick I would use a #5 Olson PGT.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I agree with Rolf. Decide on a design first.
      Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

Agree with Rolf & Smitty, leave it intact until you know what you want to do with it. That said, it is worth a little further investigation to see just what you have. Do you know if it's soft maple or hard maple? This may be a factor in how you eventually process it. Also, does it have any figure to it? Figured maple is prized for the beauty of it's elaborate and unique grain patterns. There are a number of types of figured maple, birdseye, curly, tiger, etc. If your "scrap" is any of these, then it should be used in an application that showcases the grain. I wouldn't necessarily use it for fretwork, as cutting out all the inside cuts, obscures the beautiful grain patterns.
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Wilson View Post
          Agree with Rolf & Smitty, leave it intact until you know what you want to do with it. That said, it is worth a little further investigation to see just what you have. Do you know if it's soft maple or hard maple? This may be a factor in how you eventually process it. Also, does it have any figure to it? Figured maple is prized for the beauty of it's elaborate and unique grain patterns. There are a number of types of figured maple, birdseye, curly, tiger, etc. If your "scrap" is any of these, then it should be used in an application that showcases the grain. I wouldn't necessarily use it for fretwork, as cutting out all the inside cuts, obscures the beautiful grain patterns.
          I'm pretty sure it is hard maple, here is some pics of what I have.
          Attached Files
          Dan

My Gallery

Comment

Those would make some very nice stand up puzzles! Make sure you use some clear packing tape on both sides to help prevent burning.
            Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Id suggest mailing it to me, and I'll use it at its full thickness!It is perfect for a standing puzzle, and it has nice figure for intarsia pieces as well.
              Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Nice piece of wood. I agree with the others and do nothing until you are ready to use it. Maple is one of those woods what can sometimes burn. Keep your feed rate down and use clear packing tape.
                Scott
                Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                  The bags seem easier on the surface.
                  But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                  Today, 03:24 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                  by will8989
                  Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                  Today, 10:32 AM
                • Sandy Oaks
                  by Sandy Oaks
                  As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                  Today, 09:46 AM
                • NC Scroller
                  Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                  by NC Scroller
                  I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                  Today, 07:42 AM
                • NC Scroller
                  by NC Scroller
                  I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                  Today, 07:39 AM
                Working...
                X