bloodwood question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bloodwood question

I am using bloodwood for the first time. I a getting smoke from the wood as I cut. I am using 3/4 inch, flying dutchman #3 ultra reverse blades. The blade is new so not a dull problem. Tried different speeds all with same result. Suggestion?

Bloodwood is a very waxy gummy wood so what you are experiencing is not un-common. When I cut it I usually have either blue tape or clear packing tape under my pattern, that helps a bit.
    I use the Olson PGT 5 blade and slow the saw down a bit. You have to take your time and back up frequently to clear the chips from the blade.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I use the largest, most aggressive blades that I can with bloodwood, which is a bear to cut. The Flying Dutchman reverse and ultra reverse work for me, usually #9.

I know that Rolf prefers the smaller blades, but I prefer the quicker cutting of the larger ones. And tape is a must for any wood that tends to burn.
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

thanks everyone, I will give the tape and larger blade a try.

Comment

definately use the clear packing tape (I haven't tried the blue tape so can't vouch for that). As for what blade - I actually have better luck with a #5 blade instead of a 7 or 9. I also use the Polar blades when cutting hardwoods.
          T
          Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Bloodwood is also extremely hard. It measures 2900 on the Janka Scale. Compare that to hard maple, which measures 1450 and you can see why it would burn. Perhaps a skip tooth blade might work better?
            Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I have used up an 8 ft board of 4/4 Bloodwood and have found that a #5 skip tooth works well the skip reverse I was using weren't allowing the kerf to clear well and got lots of smoke and burning ... saying all that when I cut Kathy Wise's Poinsettia Wreath I used 17 # 5 blades as I found after about 6-8 in of cut I needed to change blades. BTW I just love the smell of smoking bloodwood in the shop probably not good for me though.
              Attached Files
              Jerry
              Life's funny if you laugh at it!

http://dedijerry.blogspot.com/
              http://www.etsy.com/shop/DediWoodworks

Comment

I hope you are wearing a dust Mask!!
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                  Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                  by Rolf
                  Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                  That is...
                  Today, 08:15 AM
                • Jimern
                  Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                  by Jimern
                  The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                  Today, 06:29 AM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                  by will8989
                  The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                  Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Farmers market
                  by will8989
                  Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                  Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                • tgiro01
                  Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                  by tgiro01
                  Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                  Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                Working...
                X