bloodwood question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bloodwood question

I am using bloodwood for the first time. I a getting smoke from the wood as I cut. I am using 3/4 inch, flying dutchman #3 ultra reverse blades. The blade is new so not a dull problem. Tried different speeds all with same result. Suggestion?

Bloodwood is a very waxy gummy wood so what you are experiencing is not un-common. When I cut it I usually have either blue tape or clear packing tape under my pattern, that helps a bit.
    I use the Olson PGT 5 blade and slow the saw down a bit. You have to take your time and back up frequently to clear the chips from the blade.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I use the largest, most aggressive blades that I can with bloodwood, which is a bear to cut. The Flying Dutchman reverse and ultra reverse work for me, usually #9.

I know that Rolf prefers the smaller blades, but I prefer the quicker cutting of the larger ones. And tape is a must for any wood that tends to burn.
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

thanks everyone, I will give the tape and larger blade a try.

Comment

definately use the clear packing tape (I haven't tried the blue tape so can't vouch for that). As for what blade - I actually have better luck with a #5 blade instead of a 7 or 9. I also use the Polar blades when cutting hardwoods.
          T
          Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Bloodwood is also extremely hard. It measures 2900 on the Janka Scale. Compare that to hard maple, which measures 1450 and you can see why it would burn. Perhaps a skip tooth blade might work better?
            Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I have used up an 8 ft board of 4/4 Bloodwood and have found that a #5 skip tooth works well the skip reverse I was using weren't allowing the kerf to clear well and got lots of smoke and burning ... saying all that when I cut Kathy Wise's Poinsettia Wreath I used 17 # 5 blades as I found after about 6-8 in of cut I needed to change blades. BTW I just love the smell of smoking bloodwood in the shop probably not good for me though.
              Attached Files
              Jerry
              Life's funny if you laugh at it!

http://dedijerry.blogspot.com/
              http://www.etsy.com/shop/DediWoodworks

Comment

I hope you are wearing a dust Mask!!
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tgiro01
                  Old Tool - Reborn
                  by tgiro01
                  With all these new tool stories, I was working on and old one. About 9 years ago, I built a router table. Then, before it was finished, I had to start using it. And I have used it over the years. A couple of months ago, While I was contemplating cleaning, I looked at the machine and decided to finish...
                  Today, 03:24 PM
                • Rolf
                  Reply to YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router
                  by Rolf
                  I do remember that 2011 Wow, you were gutsy building that then, CNC was just coming into the home environment. Are you still using the one you built?
                  Today, 10:23 AM
                • Rolf
                  Reply to Work in Progress. What is with FOX publishing?
                  by Rolf
                  Jim that is why there are now CD's available for past issues. To me a copier/scanner and printer are a necessary part of my tool inventory. JMO...
                  Today, 10:19 AM
                • Jimern
                  by Jimern
                  I dropped my subscription long ago, so maybe I should not chime in, but I dropped it mostly due to the pattern pull out.

I do not have a flat bed scanner, nor do I want one, so that is my issue.

But the result is that if I cut a pattern to scan, I have also cut the parts of...
                  Today, 07:55 AM
                • Quartz43
                  by Quartz43
                  +1 on NC Scroller's suggestions. I would add that on appropriate patterns stop using the grey as it would make it easier to copy.

It says a lot if Fox Publishing does not comment on an issue like this. Even if they said they are aware that people have concerns and are looking into it...
                  Yesterday, 08:15 PM
                Working...
                X