floor boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floor boards

Have a friend that visits a flooring shop.
    They give him some of the samples that are glued on presentation boards.
    and scrap cutoffs from installs.

Sometimes he shares them with me.
    (he uses them to make cutting boards_

Most of the stuff is exotic, and usually Hard.
    What a variety of colors it comes in.
    I usually band saw the back grooves off, and then cut that down to.
    it finishes up nice, with an oil finish.

The side with the floor finish I make desk names.
    Iv'e made some nice small crosses with the cuts.
    it works pretty good.
    just thought i'd share.
    always lookin for ideas!

Rob
    Be the good,
    you want to see in the world...

I've tried some flooring material and most I tried was the laminate stuff, it has silica in it to make it more durable and plays havoc with scroll saw and other blades. I'll have to try some of the hardwood scraps, thanks for the heads up.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I needed some acacia wood for a project once and ordered 5 samples for 5$ off a flooring company. I needed the full 3/4" so I had to sand their factory finish off and boy was that a job!! That is one hard finish they use on flooring!
      Cedarguy

Comment

I had a few pieces of bamboo flooring left over and though I'd see how it would look, cut up. I couldn't get the scrollsaw blade to cut AT ALL. My new kitchen floor is done in Acacia and is beautiful - but we had absolutely NO extras left from it- sigh.

Comment

From what I understand many laminated floor materials are glued up with a formaldehyde glue and are not food safe.

SQ
          If you can't fix it with sawdust and glue, it's not worth fixing.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
            Reply to Wood identification needed
            by Rolf
            This site should be on every woodworkers computer. https://www.wood-database.com/ As has been said the first image is Wenge....
            Today, 07:38 AM
          • handibunny
            Reply to I decided I needed a challenge
            by handibunny
            I couldn't resist (too long since any new toys) and ordered a blacklight flashlight from Amazon--same price as Harbor Freight. Should be here Tuesday--can't wait to see all the glue spots I've missed.
            Today, 07:01 AM
          • handibunny
            by handibunny
            If you google "Moradillo" you'll get more information than you'll ever need. It looks like it will work up beautifully.
            Today, 06:59 AM
          • dgman
            by dgman
            The first picture is Wenge, pronounced WHEN-ghay or WHEN-Gii. It is a very hard wood. It’s splintery and very hard to cut. When finished, it is almost black. I use it when I need a black wood for Intarsia. I do not know anything about the other wood.
            Yesterday, 10:40 PM
          • vgraf
            Wood identification needed
            by vgraf
            I have a new neighbor who did a lot of woodworking in the past but had to give it up because of allergies. He sold his shop equipment and wood stockpile when he moved here, however he kept a few pieces of fancy wood and showed them to me. The first one (First Photo) he had no idea what it was. It is...
            Yesterday, 09:31 PM
          Working...
          X