I can't get them to stick...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't get them to stick...

Not sure if this is where this goes...but any whooo...What glue to use for magnets? I can't seem to get them to stay put once I put them on a magnetic board for display...perhaps the rare earth magnets are too strong - lol! I initally tried super gel, then Titlebond...the magnets are glued to shallow holes drilled with a forstner bit on a painted surface...any suggestions!?!

I appreciate the advise in advance!
    ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

5 min epoxy or Perhaps weldbond.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Use a two part epoxy. I use a 30 minute epoxy. Comes in two bottles. You mix equal amounts onto small piece of cardboard. Apply with a toothpick and let set for a couple of hours.
      Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Yep, its a +1 with the two part epoxy from me.

5 or 30 min will be fine ( but if using the 5 min type, don't go for a coffee between mixing it and applying.. as sometimes 5 mins is a bit of an exaggeration)

I prefer the syringe style of pack as it makes the 'equal parts' without having to worry.
        Last edited by DaveP; 10-05-2011, 05:05 AM.

Comment

I recess the rare earth magnets into the back slightly with a Forstner bit and use 5 min epoxy. Like Dan, I use a toothpick and fill the cavity about 1/2 full .
          Jim
          When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
          Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Did you paint the shallow hole before gluing the magnet in? If so, could it be the paint not holding rather than the glue.

If this is the case, you would see the paint on the back of the magnet rather than the glue. Before taking the time and effort to get epoxy, try cleaning the paint out of the hole and see if it holds better.

Comment

Rough up the magnets on sandpaper before the super glue, and as others have said make sure the other surface is clean....no paint, varnish etc.
              Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

I recess them part way as well and use loctite super glue gel. never had one come out.
                Janette
                www.square-designs.com

Comment

Thanx everyone!!! I will give the epoxy a try...probably the 30 min, as 5 minutes get away from way too fast - lol!

Ya, I was painting the recess (as the recess was slightly larger than the magnet). For now on tho, I will not paint it and rough up the magnet too. However, it was just the glue and magnet coming off, not any paint or finish.

Once again, I appreciate all the input!
                  Last edited by lkbraa; 10-05-2011, 06:43 PM. Reason: typo
                  ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                    Reply to New tools
                    by jim_mex
                    Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                    Yesterday, 11:14 PM
                  • Hobbyhorse
                    Reply to New tools
                    by Hobbyhorse
                    Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                    Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                  • Hobbyhorse
                    Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                    by Hobbyhorse
                    Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                    Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                  • KarlB
                    Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                    by KarlB
                    Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                    Yesterday, 09:41 PM
                  • KarlB
                    Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                    by KarlB
                    Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                    Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                  Working...
                  X