Unusual source for wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual source for wood

My stepson works for a garage door company, and some of their parts come from China. He kept asking me if I wanted some "pallets" from his work, but I kept turning him down. (I can get pine pallets anywhere) Wish I'd have said THAT. He showed me later that his "pallets" were actually 6" x 8" by 4' MAHOGANY logs, used because the parts needed hard materials for shipping. While I'm not able to cut down the logs myself (my 10" table saw won't handle that hard of wood), I searched around for places that might. Since I get the wood for free, I worked out a deal for half-and-half trade for the work. I get 1/4" hardwood planks VERY cheaply. The only catch is, they have been "soaked" in insect killer before allowed in the country, so they have to be cut using masks. I can make that sacrifice. They make GREAT doll furniture, because mahogony really holds up well to playful hands, and having a finish on the wood makes it safe. (also, I let it air a few weeks before using).

That is very interesting. What some people consider a very nice exotic wood others consider it trash wood. My only concern is using it for children's toys. If it has been soaked in insecticides. I would not feel comfortable using it for anything.

Sorry, but who knows what chemicals they used and how long lasting they are. Maybe a local university lab could test the wood and see how deeply this stuff permeates the wood. Then you would know for sure how much had to be discarded.

BTW I'm not criticizing you, so please do not take my comments personally. K? The Chinese seem to not have any remorse when it comes to this type of thing.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Wood n Things, I NEVER take things too personally anymore. (mainly because I can't remember to be mad very long, so I feel bad but don't know why) Actually, I like your idea about having it lab analyzed. I've never made anything with it for "little" kids, and my Varathane coatings are usually thick enough to make them bulletproof anyway. I have mainly used it in making display plates or cribbage-board boxes (again, permasealed almost). The source I use to get it cut (a local myrtlewood factory) said he has done this before with "overseas" wood, so he takes lots of precautions, too. But, you can never be too safe. Besides, being scrollers, we should always "fret the small stuff", shouldn't we?

Comment

Thanks for not being offended. You are correct. We do need to "fret the small stuff".
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I also would be very cautious about wood treated in China. For your own personal health when cutting it. They use products that have been banned in this country for years. Please get it analized and you should be wearing a dust mask anyway.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Congrats on an awesome find.You could get a small band saw.I have a 10" Craftsman saw that with Timberwolf blades will handle 4 5/8" mahogany with no problem.Best to get the wood tested tho.
            Tony

Comment

That's an interesting subject you brought up. I have some oak wood that came off a pallet. Wondering if everyone sprays these pallets for bugs. If so, I don't want to use that wood.

SQ
              If you can't fix it with sawdust and glue, it's not worth fixing.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X