glue question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glue question

I'm not sure if this the correct place to post this, but perhaps one of the moderators will move it if necessary.

My question. Does anyone know of a super glue that is in gel form and doesn't run? I need to glue some rounded surfaces together and I don't want the glue to run down the sides.

Any advise you can give me is appreciated. Thanks.

El
    WisEl

RBI Hawk 226 VS

Go Brewers!

They do have several brands of CA gel on the market. Try your local Michaels or other large craft store or any hobby store. Hot stuff is one brand that comes to mind.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

CA glue, from several manufacturers, are generally available in three viscosities; thin, medium, and thick. The medium, which I usually use has the consistancy of molasses, or ketchup. It flows slooowly. I have no experience with the thick. One thing to be aware of is that the cure time increases with the thicker materials. So if that's an issue, make sure you get some accelerator.

If the thick CA doesn't do it for you, consider getting a "five minute" epoxy. Again there are several brands, they are two part systems. They have the advantage over CA glues that they are gap filling.

Comment

Your local model boat/aircraft shop will have it. If you prefer online shopping try Tower Hobbies TowerHobbies.com | Shop by Category: Cyanoacrylate Glues

Comment

There is a gel superglue. You can get it in Walmart even. Check the hardwood department for a whole selection. I have also found that any superglue will set up faster if the wood is slightly damp. Or if you also apply wood glue w/it.
          T
          Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

I consider Aleen's Tacky Glue to be about the best available. It doesn't run and it bonds extremely well (all the Aleen's types I've tried work well). It's available at Michael's.

Lou
            www.woodbylouise.ca

Comment

I've been using the loctite brand gel CA glues--can get them at walmart/lowes/home depot/etc. I put the CA glue on one side, and a thin film of Arlenes or wood glue on the other. When I put the two pieces together I've got a few seconds and then the joint sets up pretty good.

David

David Griffin
              Tuliptree Craft
              s

Comment

Like David, I use the Loctite brand. The bottle has enough glue for a lot of projects. Much better bargain then the little bottles of glue at the discount stores.
                Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
                Desert Woodcrafters
                Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Thank you, everyone, for your advise. I picked up a tube of Krazy Glue Gel at the local hardware store. It is suppose to be run free. I will try it on a practice piece before using it on the final projects.

I think I will get some Loctite CA gel the next time I visit Wal-Mart, Menards or Home Depot, just to have on hand.

El
                  WisEl

RBI Hawk 226 VS

Go Brewers!

Comment

Hi Northstar. I have just noticed under the "Review" tab at the top of the page is a review of Gorilla CA glue. Might be just what you are looking for

Comment

Thanks Kiwi, that is a very interesting article. I'm gonna look for some of that glue.

I'm making some small ornaments that may be bumped around and it sounds like this is the glue I should use.

El
                      WisEl

RBI Hawk 226 VS

Go Brewers!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• dottyblues
                        Reply to Pattern Vault
                        by dottyblues
                        Thank you everyone especially KarlB for finding the pattern.
                        Today, 12:20 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        So after much debating, I bought a Sawstop table saw--the 36" contractor version, and now have a roll-your-eyes story too.
                        I got a few discounts from my favorite hardwood store for buying from them. Yay!
                        In a small shop I couldn't live without the mobile base.
                        I also added the...
                        Yesterday, 10:49 PM
                      • will8989
                        Supermax
                        by will8989
                        Bruce and the tech from Laguna finally caught up with each other after almost 2 weeks of phone tag. Bruce ran the sander for the tech and after checking a few things, it was determined it’s the bushing, probably. They are going to send a bushing for Bruce to replace it. If he has a problem replacing...
                        Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Help help
                        by will8989
                        Bruce lets it soak in on the cardholders, takes 24 hrs. I let everything drip for a few minutes then wipe excess off. 50/50 takes longer to dry than 40/60. I usually move everything upstairs and turn the ceiling fan on to to help it soak in. This finish takes 3-4 days to dry enough to take to shows....
                        Yesterday, 10:11 PM
                      • KarlB
                        Reply to Pattern Vault
                        by KarlB
                        Here are the ones I made 9 years ago:

Karl...
                        Yesterday, 10:05 PM
                      Working...
                      X