Help to Idendify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to Idendify

Can someone identify this wood for me? I picked it up while camping , somebody left it behind from their campfire wood. I think it is from Florida as that is where I found it. Thanks for your input.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ufgator; 09-14-2011, 07:16 PM.
    Happy Scrolling
    Bill

Thinking it is red oak with some nice splating.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Spalted something or other, but it sure is pretty!
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Scott & Carole! A neighbor said it may be Blackjack Oak which I think is a member of the Red Oak family. Not sure what I'll use it for yet but it sure is different to me.
        Happy Scrolling
        Bill

Comment

The bark looks more like a Sand Laurel Oak than a Blackjack Oak.

The Blackjack Oak has a deeply fissured bark while the Laurel Oak is smoother like the one in your picture.

Bob

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
            Reply to My computer issues.
            by Rolf
            Linda,
            Quote, I kept my old computer even though it was barely alive simply due to one particular program...Picassa by Google...which they removed from the market years ago. It worked like a combo photo and editing program but easier. It could take a photo and change it to a line drawing beautifully...
            Today, 08:41 AM
          • RJweb
            by RJweb
            Buy an apple and keep the computer dr away, RJ...
            Today, 08:39 AM
          • Rolf
            Reply to New turning tools
            by Rolf
            Thanks for posting Carole, Depending on what other time consuming distractions I have I might just have to do a wavy bowl.
            Also for reminding me that I have your books on my shelf for inspiration!!
            This will also be the first time I use the Excalibur to cut the rings instead of fighting...
            Today, 08:27 AM
          • NC Scroller
            by NC Scroller
            There is a free software package by GLARY Utilities by glarysoft that our local computer club uses to clean junk off do hard drives and defrag. They recommend running it monthly. You should also check for malware which most antivirus software does not prevent.

https://www.glarysoft....
            Today, 07:57 AM
          • handibunny
            Reply to New turning tools
            by handibunny
            Actually, Jim, I'm delighted that making bowls with the scroll saw is still a viable part of the scroll saw repertoire.

In truth, the scroll saw part involves only the creation of the blank and the cutting of the concentric rings. That's what distinguishes scroll saw segmentation (both...
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.
            Today, 07:44 AM
          Working...
          X