Exotic Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exotic Wood

I am diving into a great Intarsia project and it's my first time working with exotic wood. I'm using Zebrawood, Lacewood, Bloodwood. Wedge, Purple & Yellow Heart. Found out a few things today the hard way and I'm on a time limit with this project. To prevent problems is there anything I need to know or any tips?

Use the thinnest pieces you can and add shims to get the height you need.
    Use a dust mask when cutting as well as sanding.
    Most of the woods you mentioned are hard, so take your time when cutting.
    We need pictures...
    T
    Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

DUST MASK, dust mask and dust mask. Some people are VERY sensitive to the dust from Exotic woods. Wenge makes me itch like posion ivy. I have to cover myself like an astronaut to work with it. Now as to cutting and finishing. Sharp blades, watch your cutting speed as some like to burn rather easy,same with sanding (burn marks are very hard to sand out). Hope to see pics of your project.
      fredfret

Comment

Zebrawood is in the top 5 wood for causing reactions. You need a wear a mask and have good ventilation.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I've never used zebrawood or lacewood but bloodwood is one of the hardest I have worked with. Use packaging or masking tape on both sides of the wood to lubricate the blade and don't be afraid to put in a new blade as soon as you start to have trouble.
          Last edited by Keith Fenton; 09-14-2011, 03:20 PM.
          Keith Fenton
          Scroll saw patterns @
          www.sheilalandrydesigns.com

Comment

Thanks for all the info. The gentleman at the lumber company told me about needing a mask and everything so I got that covered. Also, I was having problems with it being so hard. Thanks again!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X