Veneered Particleboard for Scroll Saw Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veneered Particleboard for Scroll Saw Projects

I have a parkay venneer over particleboard table top. Since I have not started a project yet, I did not know if this wood is usable.
    Any advise is certainly welcome

woodman44, were you planning to use it as a backer or cutting a picture out of it? How thick is it? Cutting a scenic picture or portrait most of us use 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2". I would try to cut it first. Wood with a lot of glue in it will dull your blades faster.
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Veenered Particleboard

Mick,

Thanks for your reply. My intentions are to make animal puzzles, baskets and bowls. The thickness is 1/2". I hope this helps.

Ken

Comment

Ken, I would start with the puzzles to see how it cuts, Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
        Good luck with it.
        Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

I wonder if warping would be a problem with only one side vennered. Seems it woud absorb moisture at different rates. Then again finish on both sides would keep that to a minimum.
          Try it, you may like it.
          I've cut waferboard for a few projects. The glue dulls the blades faster, but it gave me the 'look' I wanted. Blades aren't that expensive.
          Political correctness is always political and rarely correct!

Comment

Thanks to Mick & Tenfingers for your suggestions. I will give it a Go & see whatt happens.

Comment

Hi woodman - I would think that particle board will not be too sucessful a material. As has been mentioned, the board contains a lot of glue and also dependent on the quality of the board it can contain a lot of inert 'rubbish'. I've found that particle board in Mexico for example regularly contains small stones and even metal turnings! In general the material will quickly blunt new blades. Particle board also tends to crumble easily especially from the centre of the thickness where the material is usually less compact.

For cutting puzzles where the peices are liable to get a lot of handling I would think that it would soon start to break up. But, as has been suggested, give it try and assess your results.
              Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
              - Albert Einstein

Comment

G'day woodman,
                If I'm correct, over here Particle board = chipboard.
                If you scroll it, I'm not sure what you would do with the exposed edges??
                Regards
                John
                "The Golden Mile"John Wayne
                Some of my Stuff
                Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

I personaly would not use it for a real project. The veneer is very thin so sanding it is risky. With the exposed edges it would not appeal to me.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X