Ebony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebony

The nut on my son's guitar broke a while back and he was getting quite frustrated about not being able to play.
    The original was plastic but I had a block of ebony, No idea where it came from it is around 2" x 4" x 8".
    It is also very hard. I ended up cutting extremely slow. Even then the blade got hot occasionally and a slight puff of smoke arose. Since it is all black to begin with it is hard to see any discoloration of the wood from the burning.

It sure has a nice finish when polished though.
    He still has to sand the bottom of the nut to adjust the action of the strings they are a little higher that the original nut.
    I do not think I could afford to buy the wood if I had to, but I am sure glad I had some around.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

hope it holds. ebony is very strong, but it is also very brittle...similar in properties to glass. It's a good thing you wear an apron too. I was cutting some ebony wearing shorts and some sawdust that got on my legs left a nice rash for a few weeks.
    I do like ebony, but mostly use it for pupils because of the outragous cost and because it is very difficult to finish. As a knob, you don't have to finish it, you can simply polish it to a beautiful shine. If it is a knob that you turn to tighten a string, you may experience the knob eventually breaking in half, but i am not saying it will for sure, and I sure hope it won't.
    Jeff Powell

Comment

Carl, I don't know anything about Ebony. but I do know you Have a lucky kidlet there. I bet it will last him forever , but if not. he will have the great memmory of dad making it for him. now I think that is too cool. your friend Evie

Comment

Ebony does turn really well, I turned a few pens with it a couple years ago. It is hard , no doubt. I havent had any trouble with it cracking, breaking or splitting on the one pen i still have of Ebony.And I can see where it would be a PITA to scroll.
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

ebony should last forever in a pen or any turning. but if it is a knob that has to undergo the pressure of turning and tightening, it's iffy. In South America there are railroad shanties that workers built to stay in while building the railroads where the floors are made completely of ebony. That had to be a task unto itself, and imagine the value of those floors ! I would however think that if you could afford to make your floor out of ebony in these modern times, that your room would look smaller and it would always look dirty.
          The most popular use for ebony is musical wind instruments. Flutes, and segments of bag pipes. The best bag pipe is a mix of ebony and ivory. Saw this one day on discovery where they were actually using metal lathes to turn the ebony, and the bag pipes were selling for 5 to 50 thousand dollars.
          Jeff Powell

Comment

Originally posted by workin for wood
            I would however think that if you could afford to make your floor out of ebony in these modern times, that your room would look smaller and it would always look dirty.
            If one could afford an ebony floor, he could certainly afford a fulltime maid to keep it clean. As for the room looking smaller, he wouldnt notice because he would be more interested in watching the maid!!!!
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X