you just have to see this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you just have to see this

I hope this is legull to show if not please delet thread. but i ;have never see a piece of wood this grand. hope it come in. http://cgi.ebay.com/EXOTIC-MACASSAR-...QQcmdZViewItem

Are You The One Bidding On It ? It Is Beautiful !!! Rain Man

Comment

Rain Man, I wish i was. I can't aford that kind of money for one piece of wood. But if i did have it. I sure couldnt' cut it up maybe in slices. and make some tabale of something like that. pretty huh. there was lots of burs there too. Evie

Comment

Hi Evie.
        That is one beautiful looking piece of bowl blank turning wood. It will be interesting to see how close he gets to $70.00 for it.

That piece is just about right on for the size I used last week for this plain Jane looking piece of cherry that I used to turn this pentagon top bowl with .
        I can just imagine how much nicer it would have looked using that fantastic looking piece that is advertised on ebay.
        W.Y.

EDIT.
        Perhaps this should be in the off topic board because it is not related to scrolling wood but rather to a wood lathe turning blank.
        Maybe one of the capable moderators will see fit to move it to off topic or leave it here. Whichever they think is more appropriate.
        Last edited by William Young (SE BC); 09-09-2006, 03:10 PM.
        http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Bill, that is a beautiful bowl. and a enteresting edg on it. it looks even deeper as you look into it. very nice. Evie

Comment

Bill, You Should Buy That Piece ! You Could Do Something Special With It. LOVE THE Cherry One !!! Rain Man

Comment

Thanks Evie and Rainman.
              Here is one that I just applied the last coat of finish to this morning.
              It is way too shiny so after the finish has cured for a couple days I will knock the shine back with some rubbing compound and then apply wax.

This one is a heptagon (seven sides) and the wood is called horsechestnut where I live and is called buckeye in other areas.

It took almost an hour to turn this one out of a block of free wood.

95% of my turning wood is free but to get beautifull looking wood like is shown in the link Evie posted , then that can run into lots of money.
              I must say though that I have got lots of more highly figured woods given to me by friends than what I have shown here. . These are just recent turnings where I was experimenting with multiple sides on the top of bowls so I didn't want to use my nicer show woods until I know what I am doing. .
              W.Y.

Comment

William,
                I'd say your experiments came out rather well.
                I think I'd have a fit at all the shavings on the floor from a beautiful piece like that ebony, though. Maybe slabbing it or smaller turnings and pens would use it more efficiently.
                All moot, however, since that is a chunk of $$$ for me for one piece of wood, no matter how purty.
                Nice to daydream about though.......
                Thanks, Sis, for showing it to us.
                Sandy

Comment

He got $71.50 for it.
                  The seller has a few nice pieces for sale and lives about 20minutes from me. I may have to go make a new friend!
                  Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

He has another piece. One day listing http://tinyurl.com/n2vle
                    MinotBob
                    Makita MSJ-401
                    Universal Tools:
                    Remember you only really need 2 tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the Duct Tape

Comment

Thanks Fred;
                      That is a hefty price but a beautifull piece of wood . I hope the buyer uses it wisely.
                      I could not find anywhere how much he charges for shipping to Canada and I sure wasn't about to make a bid to find out in case mine was the winning bid and I had to follow through with it

Sandy;
                      I think I'd have a fit at all the shavings on the floor from a beautiful piece like that ebony, though. Maybe slabbing it or smaller turnings and pens would use it more efficiently.
                      I can appreciate your concern but there are hollowing tools that could make a piece like that into a full size and a medium size and a small bowl with very little waste. But those tools are expensive. If I was buying wood at that price I would surely have to get the right tools but as my wood is mostly free I don't worry too much about the waste.
                      I have one last one that I am going to show in my series of bowls without a round top. The more flats there are the easier they are to turn This one only has 4 flat sides so it was the hardest and took a full two hours.
                      Anyone that is into turning and looking at this one knows what I mean about having to turn a lot of *air* on the outer edges. One slip in that area with a finger and the finger is GONE .
                      This one only has the first coat of finish on it so far and much of it has been absorbed by the wood..
                      W.Y.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodbutcher68
                        He got $71.50 for it.
                        The seller has a few nice pieces for sale and lives about 20minutes from me. I may have to go make a new friend!
                        Wow Fred, I would have bought that piece if i didn't have to pay chipping too. and you live just down the road. I might have to start turning. I can see buy WY projects, how a beautiful piece like that could come out. WOW.
                        so pretty , so pretty.

Bill , I know the tool you are talking about. and that would save alot of the wood . the one thing i never liked about turning was the waist. but after seeing that tool . I might just look into it.

I was wondering..... I am thinking of getting a small latgh. are they any good. I meen is the motors on them strong enouph to do some , long time turning. I would like a big one. but can't afford that right now. just wont to start small. Hmmmmmmmmmm maybe. just lookie looing right now. Evie

Comment

Hi Evie.
                          The small lathes are excellent for pens and small bowls and goblets and all kinds of small stuff but they are under powered and too small for bigger stuff. I can turn 14" diameter bowls and clocks etc on mine.
                          My full size lathe didn't cost all that much more than my first mini lathe that I outgrew . I sold it for half price so I would have been better to go full size in the first place.
                          You can turn everything on a full size one that you can turn on a mini lathe but you cannot turn everything (by a long way) on a mini lathe that you can turn on a full size one.
                          So many first time turners make the same mistake as I did and start with a small one . It's fine for people with lots of money and lots of shop space because they keep their mini lathe when they move up to a full size one. But I do not fit into either catagory of lots of money or lots of room so the small one had to go at a loss.
                          Ever since my experience as just explained I always recommend looking for a real good price on a full size one even if it is a used one before considering a mini one.
                          W.Y.

Comment

Thanks Bill. that is exsacaly. what i wonted to know. Ok . now .. what one do you think is a good one. and where to find it. I go to the tool shows in my area. and Wow they are really high $$$$$$$ also. off subject. but what a bout a nice band saw. I have a old one. but would like one to rip wood. mine has a 6" ripping hight. but the throut is very small. I can live with that. Evie

Edit. acktually. its not mine. so i need something that is as good. thanks

Comment

Evie.
                              It pays to shop around. I don't know what is available in USA without searching but in Canada we have the BusyBee tools chain all across the country and that is where I got mine in BC . This doesn't cost thousands of dollars like some professional ones but it is just excellent for a hobby turner like me. It costs only slightly more than a variable speed mini lathe and is so much more versatile than any mini lathe because of the swivel head and all the extra features . It will turn 14" with the headstock over the bed but with it swivelled out or around it is capable of much larger turnings.

http://tinyurl.com/h8pg5

I have a 14 " bandsaw with only a 6" depth cut also. Would love to have bigger but the price jumps dramatically after the 14" size so I make do with it.
                              W.Y.
                              (edited for typos.)

Last edited by William Young (SE BC); 09-10-2006, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X