Exotic woods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exotic woods

anyone scrolled any exotic woods? burl or anything of that nature...?

Im just wondering how it turned out... And was it easy to cut like oak or other hardwoods that are more commonly used...?

~Tim
    'smile it makes people wonder what your up to, and brightens anothers day.'

Not sure what you mean by exotic woods. I haven't scrolled any burls, but I've cut Brazilian Cherry (twice as hard as white oak), Padauk, Lyptus, Red heart, etc. Oak is comparatively soft when you start cutting African and South American hardwoods.
    Kevin
    Scrollsaw Patterns Online
    Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Originally posted by Jediscroller
      Not sure what you mean by exotic woods. I haven't scrolled any burls, but I've cut Brazilian Cherry (twice as hard as white oak), Padauk, Lyptus, Red heart, etc. Oak is comparatively soft when you start cutting African and South American hardwoods.
      That does help me out alittle...

Where do folks go to get these types of woods ? is there somewhere online where you prefer to deal with... Ive mostly just delt with oak, walnut, cherry, mahogany, those types of woods. But i'd like to get into this afican and south american wood... I'm also looking into getting a few pieces of burl...

Girlfriends grandad (great guy) he just got into pen tuning, hes got all kinda variations of wood (i never knew there were so many kinds.) Anyhow I'd like to look into getting some of these kinds i've never messed with before and get used to them...

Im also getting some plexi-glass here in a few day, a friend of mine wants a pick guard made for his bass guitar (i made one for myself a few years ago) But not that i;ve got my own scroll saw, I can experiment with the plastics etc more.

Any information on these woods that anyone can give me would be very much appriciated.

Thanks for your time,
      ~Tim Bonner

Comment

If I'm just buying a little bit, my local woodcraft carries it, otherwise a couple of the local lumberyards carry most of what I'm looking for. I do resaw and plane my own so I don't need to buy it already thicknessed (is that a word?).
        Sloans, thin boards, Ocooch Hardwoods, Heritage Hardwoods, Memphis Hardwoods are a few of the places that carry thin woods in a nice variety of species.
        Kevin

Comment

Hey Tim,
          A lot of my scrolling wood comes from my hardwood flooring business. I also have a hardwood distributer about 10 miles away. I have cut Purpleheart, Brazilian Cherry, Cumaru (Brazilian Teak) and trying to cut some Ipe (pronounced e-pay) or Brazilian Walnut. Ipe is 3 times harder than oak or 4 1/2 times harder than Walnut. Right now it is hard to find time to get out to the saw as work is keeping me hopping, but with the addition of the new granddaughter I will be trying to slow down a little.

Tim
          "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

Hey Tim,
            Eeek, how bad is it to cut that stuff (Ipe). It's even harder than Brazilian Teak which I haven't gotten up the nerve to try. Of course 3640 vs. 3540 probably isn't much different. I'd like to hear someone's experience with Lignum vitae (sp?) as I think this is one of the hardest woods on the planet with a relative hardness of 4500
            If anyone's interested in how different woods compare in hardness, this site has most species listed.
            Kevin

Comment

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/This is a good site also that has a pretty nice list with pictures and discriptions of exotic woods.
              Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

I'd be interested to know this also. We are going to be at the NW Scrollsaw show next month and I have a bunch of maple burls. I'd like to know if people would be interested in them for scrolling?

Nedra
                Nedra Denison
                http://sawdustconnection.com
                http://picturetrail.com/nedraspyrography

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrographer
                  I'd be interested to know this also. We are going to be at the NW Scrollsaw show next month and I have a bunch of maple burls. I'd like to know if people would be interested in them for scrolling?

Nedra
                  I'd probally be interested in seeing them. Any way you could send pictures to [email protected]

Comment

I too would be interested in some maple burl, but it would have to be shipped to WI . If thats doable, drop me a PM or email. Dale
                    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

maple burl

does it have the spiked edges. i use a lot of maple burl. get some pictures- tks, RAIN MAN

Comment

All of the burls have the natural (spiked) edges. They range in quality from the premium grade to the gallery grade. Some are just the end caps but all are dry and processed. I've included a link to all the photos. I have 3 more pieces that we are working on...they needed a lot of sanding but they are going to be gorgeous. Thick!!!!

http://www.nedraspyrography.com/Mapl...gured_Wood.htm

I honestly wasn't sure if these were anything that would be used by scrollers and I didn't want to ruin a gorgeous piece of wood trying. I'm saving them for my woodburnings.

I wasn't posting this to try to sell them but mostly trying to get a feel for whether or not I should take them to the scroll saw show next month. I don't want to haul them there if they were not beof interest to scrollers.

Anyway, I have photos of all the figured wood we have up there other than the 3 new pieces. I will get those posted as soon as hubby finishes sanding them. He's already worked on one piece for an hour to get it smoothed out....lots of work!!!

If you have specific questions please private email me at [email protected]

And yes Dale, we do ship to WI
                        Nedra
                        Nedra Denison
                        http://sawdustconnection.com
                        http://picturetrail.com/nedraspyrography

Comment

I see in this thread African Exotic woods are mentioned. Due to the dry and hot conditions here, most of our woods are quite hard and not ideal for scrolling. The hardest wood I've ever scrolled is Zimbabwean Teak!
                          One of the best suppliers of our hardwoods is 'Country Woods' - http://www.countrywoods.co.za. They have a branch in the US:
                          7537 Rickenbacker drive Gaithersburg , Maryland 20879 USA . Office (091)410 267 0887 Fax (091)410 263 4694.
                          Sue Mey

Comment

wood

I Have A Great Source For Woods Like Caro Walnut, English Walnut, Cotton Wood, Maple Burls, All That Kind Of Wood. I Have It Shipped And It Is,nt As Bad As You Would Think. I Ordered A Thousand Dollars Worth And It Cost Around Three Hundred To Ship. It Was All 3/4 Inch Thick Slabs. I Shape And Cut To My Likeing And It Sells Like Crazy. If Interested , Send Me A Private Message.tks, Rain Man

Comment

I don't know what kind of wood I've got here in Taipei but it's harder than the back of Gods head.

It redish almost the color of Redwood but really hard.
                              MinotBob
                              Makita MSJ-401
                              Universal Tools:
                              Remember you only really need 2 tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the Duct Tape

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X