scrolling and sassafrass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scrolling and sassafrass

What do you all think of that combination, sassafrass and scrolling? Thanks, Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

sounds like it might work lol

Charlie,
    Charlie
    "Everything Happens for a Reason"
    Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

Personally, I prefer scrolling and then budweiser, but whatever floats your boat

Never scrolled sassafrass....Turned it (smells great) but never scrolled.
      ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

I dissaprove.

Never score drugs when scrolling (or at any other time).

Gill
        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Learn something every day I guess:

I had never heard of the Sassafras treee being harvested for lumber. Or at least being harvested and still called sassafrass after being turned into lumber. Sassafras tree bark in the wild is too important a food source for wild deer.

Sassafras albidum from the Lauracean family.

(I presume you are talking about the Eastern USA Sassafras tree and not its relatives out in West.)

Phil

Comment

Sassafras

Looks like it should work just fine. Seems they have been using it for many things since early times.

http://www.iswonline.com/wwp/wom/sassafras.cfm
            Rick Hutcheson
            http://www.scrollsaws.com

Comment

You do learn something new everyday.

I just thought sassafrass was a drink. Never gave a thought as to how it was made or what it was made from. Guess I thought it just happened.
              Kelly
              "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Comment

Here's a sassafras basket which I think is kinda pretty Being a hillbilly, I had no idea that people didn't know how to use sassafras /giggle We used it all the time for stuff! http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/image/basketframe.jpg

Comment

Magpie

I like the grain pattern

Very interresting indeed.

Thanks,
                  Marcel
                  http://marleb.com
                  DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Magpie:

You mean you just walked into a hardwood store and they had Sassafras in stock waiting for you? No special ordering or anything?

Yes, that amber color of the wood does look nice. Thanks for sharing.

(When I was in Boy Scouts way back before Color TV, at least in Michigan, I was told never cut a branch off a sassafras tree in a forest because wild deer need the tree bark for late Winter feeding. Maybe south of the Ohio river, the winters are not as hard on the wild deer food supply.)

Phil
                    Last edited by GrayBeard Phil; 06-12-2006, 09:32 PM.

Comment

The sassafrass I have access to is from MI actually. I am debating on getting some to try out (maybe 50 bf ). Its kiln dried and in widths from 5 to 10 inches . $1.75 a bf . what do ya think. Oh, its about an hour to 1 hr 15 min drive to the location of the wood, that plays into the price as well. dale

Thanks for the pictures, and thanks Rick for that link, very informative indeed.
                      Last edited by lucky788scroller; 06-12-2006, 10:58 PM.
                      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Thats a simple question....BUY IT!!! Heck its not like its MY money!!!
                        ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Phil, we didn't buy much of anything--there weren't any stores around. If we needed a fence post or or a chair leg or something we just went out and cut it. I loved using hedge apple wood for fences because you'd plant a fence post and next year you'd have a tree! I'm crazy for trees.

One of the best parts of the year though was when spring would come, Grandma and I would go herbing, and sassafras was right at the top of the list for tea and spring fever tonics and stuff like that. I love the smell of it so much. It's been 30 years since I used an axe to cut wood so I have no idea how it will work out, but I think the color is pretty nice

Comment

Sassafrass

Sassafrass here in West Virginia is about as common as dirt except in the higher elevations. I had never considered using it but now I think I'll give it a try. I know the deer like it but there is plenty to go around as it isn't harvested that I'm aware of. Anyway, the deer seem to be happy pillaging my garden every night. They have eaten almost all my beans and peppers and have started nipping the tops out of my tomato plants now that they have started blooming. They wont bother the cucumbers and squash but they trample them getting to the other goodies. Gonna plant two gardens next year. One for me and one for the deer!!!!
                            If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

I have scrolled sassafras quite a bit and it is a easy wood to cut on a scroll saw. Smells like medicine and it is available from the hardwood dealer in North Carolina that I buy my hardwood from. It's a moderate cost wood and the only thing I don't like about it is that it tends to be very stringy (even when I sand it with 220 or 320 grit sandpaper) Nice brown color and good grain.

GaryM

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                                Today, 09:32 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                                Today, 08:56 PM
                              • Jim McDonald
                                Reply to Interesting pallet
                                by Jim McDonald
                                I have harvested some very interesting specimens in the last 10 years. Bookmatched ash that was absolutely beautiful; red oak, maple, some spalted "something" and more.
                                But since most of the cross boards on pallets are 3 to 4 nches wide and 3/8" to 5/8", I have few uses for...
                                Today, 08:17 PM
                              • Quartz43
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Quartz43
                                I have an implanted spinal cord stimulator to help with back pain. They also have warnings about welding. I could not get one when I was working in an electric furnace steelmaking shop as the electrodes were over 1000 amps and volts. I have also decided to stay away from welding as I just do not...
                                Today, 03:40 PM
                              • hotshot
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by hotshot
                                You did a great job on that video. You speak and explain well!...
                                Today, 02:27 PM
                              Working...
                              X