How do you find your wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you find your wood

HI all how do you find your wood for resawing. and how do you keep it from splitting. your friend Evie

I tell the farmer who I worked for as a child that he needs to save me a few nice logs when hes cutting trees. He watches for good lumber trees and calls me when hes dropping them. Then, I haul the logs to Petersons Custom Lumber to be milled and dried. But, believe it or not, I never seem to have the wood i need, so I then buy some of their scrollsaw ready wood! So its a win win win situation for me i guess!!! Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I have a friend who helps me there, He stacks the wood in his workshop with stickes between the layers of wood.
      If we are impatient we put fans on the wood to draw the moisture out a little faster.

I also have a friend with a wood kiln, and he does tons of woodbut thats really not fair.
      The funny thing is when drying wood yourself it would be nice to have a moisture detector. I cut some maple, stacked two peices together and predrilled the wood for scrolling, the wood had a little too much moisture in it and it warped slightly.

A couple of months later I checked and everything was fine. I can now cut the stacked wood.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I also put my wood in sticker unless it's been kiln-dried and is ready for immediate use. I've been told that wet lumber needs to be seasoned for one year per inch of thickness, and that seems to work for me.

I also paint the cut ends of the wood to reduce the rate at which moisture evaporates through the end grain. It's uneven evaporation that causes the wood to split.

Gill
        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

I buy rough lumber that's been dried. I resaw it and plane it to the thickness I need. I don't have to deal much with splitting (if the ends are checked they get cut off and tossed in the kindling pile). I just go one of my local lumber yards or to my local Woodcraft store for small quantities. There hasn't been a wood yet that I wanted that the lumber yard didn't carry.

Kevin
          Kevin
          Scrollsaw Patterns Online
          Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

During the past fall I got some black cherry logs from a neighbor that were about 12" in diameter. I painted the ends of the logs to prevent splitting, then resawed the wood to 1" thickness on my bandsaw. I placed the wood stickered in my attic over the garage. It has good ventilation up there and gets consistantly over 120 degrees in the attic all summer long here in South Carolina. The wood should be ready in August, although I don't have a moisture meter.

Just a good experiment, we'll see how the wood turns out. It doesn't appear to have split any more at the ends, as the wood has been in the attic 3 months.

Comment

I gotta say this. It is funny reading the comments about letting wood dry "one year per inch" of thickness, etc. I keep thinking that at my age I better find darn thin wood! Ah, youth.
              Moon
              Old Mooner

Comment

I actually find my wood somewhere on the floor of my shop under a shroud of sawdust.

If my son gets finished cleaning the shop I am sure I will have a better handle on it.
                CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Originally posted by Old Mooner
                  I gotta say this. It is funny reading the comments about letting wood dry "one year per inch" of thickness, etc. I keep thinking that at my age I better find darn thin wood! Ah, youth.
                  Moon
                  ubove all Moon. I would like to know how you handale your wood. in Calif. they cover the wood with some parifaine or wax of some sort. small stuff I meen. I bet you do something , and I would like to know. do you stack it. or stand it up. or put in a shed. or what. do you space it. or what do you do. I know you have alot to teach us. do you leave it thick. or what. ????? I am your student. and I wont to learn from the best.
                  Ok say I just cut down a wonderful tree. what do I do now. lieve it alone for a year or two. or do I cut it in smaller workablae sizes. or what. do I cover it with something. or let it air dry. your friend Evie lol Ps or maybe I could smock it. lol

Comment

Found wood

I was helping setup for a 40's dance the other night and this guy brings in 4 planks of 5/4 x 7 inch x 3 feet long mahogany. I asked him about it and he said he uses it for kindling. Needles to say that wood went home with me to a much safer place. I have already re-sawed one plank and planed it down to 1/4 for a tissue box cover.
                    Rolf
                    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf,

PLEASE tell me it's a typo.

Tell me you did not actually plane a 5/4 piece of mahogany to 1/4" to make a tissue box.

Tell me you resawed it first, PLEASE.

Cause otherwise, that wood jumped from the fireplace into the wooden stove!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh!!! Just re-read the post to be sure, and you did say you re-sawed one first.
                      Phew, had my heartbeat up for a minute there.

Regards,
                      Marcel
                      Last edited by Marcel in Longueuil; 05-08-2006, 08:06 PM.
                      http://marleb.com
                      DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Yes Marcel I re-sawed the wood first. I just got a Carter blade for my 16 inch Delta band saw, I was very please with how it cut. I did have to trim the board to 6.5 inches so that it would fit in the saw. I guess I will be ordering the 6 inch riser add on for my saw, that will give me the ability to cut a 12 inch plank. The Delta has the horse power to cut it.
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf,

You're gonna love the riser kit if it's anything like the one I got on my King Industrial 14".

Enjoy

Marcel
                          http://marleb.com
                          DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

In regards to drying your wood there is an article in a Wood magazine how they cut the tree into lumber piled it in their shed stickered it ,painted the ends ,covered the pile with plastic . They put a dehumidifier under the plastic with a moisture meter to show when the wood was ready .According to the article it worked very well.

When we lived in Winnipeg our neighbour had the lumber yard resaw a 2x10 for her ww projects. The plank was right off the pile and before she got the wood home it as warped and twisted something awfull. She threw out more than she could use.
                            Last edited by B Smith; 05-13-2006, 11:08 AM.
                            Smitty
                            Dewalt 788

Comment

How do you find wood IF . . .

Hi, I'm a newbie, even though I have been with this group for a while. . . I just don't have time to read all this great advice and all the questions. But tonight I'm really wondering about where you get your wood. Some of you have neighbors or forest or own a flooring business. But what if I have none of those availabe, live in Michigan and have zero ideas on how to find my wood?? I have gone to some local wood manufactors but boy are they charging for their cut offs!!! I'd really like to open a Hardwood For Sale company since there doesn't seem to be any around. But I don't have the bucks for that!

SO Where DO you Get Your Wood if you are a recluse woodworker with no contacts????

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X