Best method for cutting plexi/acrylix backer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best method for cutting plexi/acrylix backer

I have two projects that im doing for an upcoming scrollsaw event here in Australia that im using plexi as a backing.

One of the pieces is a small natural edge piece of red mallee burl and the other is a oval shape that was cut on some rosewood.

I know its best to cut the plexi with the paper still on, but that presents an issue for getting the plexi to exactly match the front pieces edge.

I see my options as:
    1. Remove the paper and adhere the plexi to the front piece and then slowly cut around the edge so they match.

2. Trace around the edge onto the paper and slowly cut out, then adhere to the front piece. Any deviation from the line may stand out in this case.

So, any thoughts on what the best approach would be?
    Go with Option 1
    33.33%
    Go with Option 2
    33.33%
    Niether.. there is a better way..
    33.33%
    Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!!

Use a blade with no reverse teeth. Add a layer of masking tape atop the protective film on the acrylic. either double side tape it to the back of the piece with the pattern attached, or tape around the perimeter, then cut out. After cutting it out, carefully seperate them, and remove the protective film and extra tape.Use a good quality blade with no reverse teeth (I use a FD Polar, dont know if you have access to them though). Change blades BEFORE you notice the stuff melting.This way it should match up perfectly at glueup time. Any chance we get a sneak peek at your project???????? Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

As for the oval one I would just glue or tape the plexi and the wood together with the paper still on and then cut out the oval as one piece, all deviation will be the same in both pieces then.
      Remover the paper and the pattern and glue the two together.

The burl is a bit trickier. You do not want to cut any of the burls edge off. I think I would trace around the burl, cut the plexi separately and fasten them both together when they are done.

I think any deviations will be masked with the natural irregular edges of the burl.

So being the usual fence sitter I wil lsay option 4 both of the above

If all else fails get it done by Friday
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Brett . I have no clue. that is someting in my future. something I would like to do. but know nothing about. I will learn from your quistion too. thanks for asking it. I will watch this thread like a hock. your friend Evie

Comment

You will need to cut fairly slow as the blade will melt the plastic and stick back together on you if cutting to fast.If you have a variable speed saw turn the speed down and go slow. When I cut back backing for a project I trace the piece then cut 1\8" inside the line to make it just a tad smaller than the front piece.
          Here is a site that has info on cutting plastic http://www.scrollsaws.com/.
          Last edited by B Smith; 04-19-2006, 08:44 PM.
          Smitty
          Dewalt 788

Comment

Thanks all for the advice, will see which works best and will let you know the results.

Dale,
            I can probably manage a sneek preview of my entries
            Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• handibunny
              Reply to EX dust collection holes screwed up a project.!
              by handibunny
              Rolf, smaller bowl-cutting angles, 30˚ or less, usually don't present a problem either with vibration or for cutting into the table. It's when you get into the 40˚ and 45˚ range that things get dicey for both. (The Seyco saw doesn't even cut bevels greater than 35˚ or so!) If you add even a slight...
              Today, 09:21 AM
            • Bill Wilson
              by Bill Wilson
              I've done some bevel cutting on my EX-21 as well and also have not experienced any added vibration, nor have I cut into the table. Perhaps I haven't cut at a steep enough angle, but the existing blade hole has been sufficient. I do despise the useless vacuum holes, but I've learned to live with them...
              Today, 09:06 AM
            • cwmagee
              by cwmagee
              Carole Your hole size was a concern when I purchased the Pegas Replacement Table for my EX21, because I had cut into the side of hole on the original table, The damage I did to the old table was due to the blade adjustments were not in the center of blade holders. So far that has not been an issue...
              Today, 08:40 AM
            • Rolf
              by Rolf
              That is an interesting point Carole. I have done some bevel cutting on the EX and can't say that I have experienced an increase in vibration or any problems with following the lines. I know when I cut one of your bowl designs on my Hawk I really had to concentrate on not pushing down hill....
              Today, 07:28 AM
            • handibunny
              by handibunny
              Just a word of caution about the size of the blade hole. When I used a DeWalt years ago in the infamous community woodshop, and also with my more recent experiences with the Jet, if you do much bevel cutting at a steep angle, you will cut into the table. That's why inserts have the slot that can be...
              Today, 06:21 AM
            Working...
            X