Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you have a project. or do you have wood first.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you have a project. or do you have wood first.

Are you inspiered. do you find the pattern first. or the wood first. I found a piece of wood. and wonted to do a project with it. I also found a patten . and don't know what kind of wood to use. mmmmmmmmm. mistery your freind Evie

What you mean I can choose a project myself?

I thought that was my wife's God given right!

Actually I have a little collection of wood, and am always looking for new pieces. (I found a couple nice pieces in the fireplace logs that were delivered last year)

Projects, I'm always full of. I just finished a box for my wife's clothe pins.
    I made my first dovetail joints using the scollsaw, and they came out really good, if I can say so myself. (I'll post pictures in the next couple of days)

My wife wants a Dolphin address sign for the front of the house, and I got commissionned by a coworker of hers to do a Horse head address sign for their house/ranch (They live outside of the city and have a few horses). I have told my wife to tell her to expect to have to pay a couple of hundred dollars for it, so she isn't suprized by the bill. And she gave me complete freedom on the design

I may get an order from another one of her co-workers for a Dolphin clock similar to the one I did for my wife (my wife said I would do it for $50CDN no less: material costs about $25) That woman is also a Dolphin lover and from what my wife tells me I think she is trying to convince her husband that it's a piece of art: so it's worth the price, he he.

So I have a couple of projects ahead of me. So right now I can't say which comes first: it seems it's all coming at the same time.

Regards,
    Marcel
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

I go either way... just depends. I've got a few patterns that I want a specific wood...and have not come across it. Then I've I've some wood and no pattern.

Then I have the 'other.' I have both wood and pattern but no time.

Comment

I'll start with a pattern and go thru my wood collection to try and find the right piece, but that always dosen't work out, so that pattern will get put aside until the right piece comes along. Another problem I encounter is finding a great piece of wood and realize I have two different patterns that would go great with it, so then I have to decide which one gets cut. But I always end up happy with my choice in the end.
        Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

A bit of both, usually have the pattern first and I either see what timber I have that it works on or put it aside till I find that timber.

I have a slab of Jacaranda I got at a wood show nearly 2 years ago now that I still havent found the right pattern for it to work with. The piece is about 30" long and 8-9" high.
          Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!!

Comment

I am a pattern first then choose the wood kind of guy.
            I bought a 10 ft by 6" by 1" thick piece of blood wood I have cut about 4" off the end and used it to make a treble clef plaque for a friend. Can't bring myself to cut the rest it is too beautiful. Actually now that I have a 13 " planer I will re-saw and dimension the wood for lots of projects. The edges of the blood wood look polished when cut (smells awful).
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Which came first the chicken or the egg

Sometimes I see a project and have to find the wood to suit it. Other times the grain in a piece of wood screams out.

The bamboo flooring I used in my panda was wood first then pattern. I know technically bamboo is grass. but if I get the grass first comment then there is a big flash back to the 70's and all is lost.

I do think wood selection is one of the biggest parts of scrolling and one of the most satisfying when it all comes together.

Speaking of the chicken and the egg. I was thinking of doing a puzzle with a chicken in a wooden egg.
              Should I select my wooden egg first or draw the pattern
              CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
              "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
              Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Ahhhhhhh... The 70's.. Where have they gone? The 80's too for that matter.

No... I really mean that, can't remember most of them.
                Hehe, Carl been there done that.

So which pattern you gonna do first the chicken or the egg?

Why am I hungry all of a sudden?

Flashback,
                Marcel
                http://marleb.com
                DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

I try to keep a stock of a variety of woods on hand and will buy an excpetionally special looking piece from time to time and just hold onto it until the right inspiration comes along. I still have several mahogany slabs that I bought a year ago just waiting for the right projects. I very seldom will have a pattern in hand and go looking for the right wood, most times the wood just tells me what it wants to be (or is that the voices?).

Kevin
                  Kevin
                  Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                  Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Well guys I just have to confess. I am a wood junkie. but latly I am a pattern junkie. every time there is a link posted on the forum. I just have to go look. Boy does that cost me some $$$. I have so many patterns. and I will make all of them , I Hope. but they could all be done with plywood. but why waist my time . the patterns I wont to do would be so wonderful. on the hardist wood I can find. that is what would look the best. but the fret work. is so detailed. that it will be hard to cut. OH WELL> get her done. If I am going to spend the time . and blades . and money . why not do them on awsome wood. I am just learning about woods. so I don't know differant. they say it can't be done. hhhhaaaaaaa. well thats just what i will use. just can't keep it simpale I guess. good thing I don't have to make a living at this. the work I have done so far. folks just wont. but they are not willing to pay the priece. and I wont do it for my time. I am getting redy to do some fretwork from some patterns from peculiar fretworks. http://www.peculiarfretworks.com/index.html and wow that is some great fretwork. these are some projeckts from the 1800. so why waist it on plywood. I am probley way over my head on this one. but I am going to do it. boy and I thought a 5"x5" tile was going to be hard. lol your freind Evie

Comment

I'm like Bill. I usually have the project and then seek a piece of wood that is suitable. That does not mean, however, that I ever pass up a good piece of wood. I am, like Evie, a "wood junkie" and am always on the lookout for pieces I think I can use one day. I even have two or three old Bois d'Arc (Osage Orange to you Yankees) fence posts that I am saving for a future project (carving or scrolling). The question of "wood or project first" is like the chicken and the egg. The answer is "yes".
                      Moon
                      Old Mooner

Comment

Mooner. you are so right , what does it matter , the chicken or the egg. buy the way , I finaly , was abale to go and look at all the albums. Wow , yours are great. I could learn from you. I had a hard time looking at the albums. and now I think I got it. I had to flip back and forth. and it took so long. but i did find yours. Did I say Wow yet. Wow. this guy can scroll. your friend Evie, Humbaled

Comment

Originally posted by Brett74
                          I have a slab of Jacaranda I got at a wood show nearly 2 years ago now that I still havent found the right pattern for it to work with. The piece is about 30" long and 8-9" high.
                          Heres a pic of the Jacaranda
                          Attached Files
                          Brett

Comment

Brett that is some beautfale wood. lol. down the hill from me they grow it all over. tryed to grow it my self. but don't last the winters. where did you get yours. like all the way in Austraila. does it grow good there? what you going to cut out of it. the leaves are great. and the flowers are awsome. your friend Evei

Comment

I got it from a woodwork show in Sydney, it grows quite well here, a pretty tree. Im waiting for that pattern to come along one day and screen cut me out on the jacaranda. The dimensions of the slab make it hard for something to fit it well.

One like the last supper is only one I really seen that would fit, but it didnt appeal to me. So the search continues.
                              Brett

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                                Today, 12:59 AM
                              • will8989
                                Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                                Today, 12:46 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by will8989
                                I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                                Today, 12:27 AM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by jim_mex
                                Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                                Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by KarlB
                                Very well done!

Karl
                                Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                              Working...
                              X