Hard Maple Supplier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Maple Supplier

I'm preparing to build a real nice workbench this summer and would like to find a good supplier for some solid maple. I need some 8/4 and 4/4 X 6 X 72. Anybody have a good supplier for this kind of wood?
    Thanks
    MinotBob
    Makita MSJ-401
    Universal Tools:
    Remember you only really need 2 tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the Duct Tape

There is a supplier of hardwoods in my area.
    http://www.tree2table.ca/ He has some great wood, but you will have to plane it yourself.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Hi Bob

Are you looking for a supplier who'll ship the maple to Taiwan?

Gill
      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

No I'll have it shipped to Minot ND. I'll be there for a month this summer and want to make my bench then.
        MinotBob
        Makita MSJ-401
        Universal Tools:
        Remember you only really need 2 tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the Duct Tape

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianScroller
          There is a supplier of hardwoods in my area.
          http://www.tree2table.ca/ He has some great wood, but you will have to plane it yourself.
          I have a small 12 1/2" in Dewalt Planer so that is not a real problem.
          Thanks
          MinotBob
          Makita MSJ-401
          Universal Tools:

Comment

Bob,
            Try www.niagaralumber.com. They have an excellent selection of timbers in all different thicknesses and you can get your prices freight included.

Kevin
            Kevin
            Scrollsaw Patterns Online
            Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Both places look pretty good.
              Thanks for the tips
              MinotBob
              Makita MSJ-401
              Universal Tools:

Comment

I would search for a small sawyer in your area. I am getting a few pieces of 2"x12" hard maple from a local sawyer on Saturday for next to nothing because I am getting "short" pieces from 4'-6' long. To a sawyer, those are offcuts. Cabinet shops don't want to be bothered with them.
                -Andy

Comment

Originally posted by arbarnhart
                  I would search for a small sawyer in your area.
                  Not much quality wood in North Dakota. Lots of fence posts, telephone poles, railroad ties and cottonwood. Can you temper cottonwood by heating it up and dunking it in water or oil?
                  MinotBob
                  Makita MSJ-401
                  Universal Tools:

Comment

I looked in a sawyer directory and found one entry not too awful far away. You might call or click on the link above as his entry claims to be able to email him (but I would call if it were me) and ask what lumber might be available. They sometimes take lumber in trade for services and then sell it. You might think about local alternatives that are as hard and stable (an osage orange bench would be great as long as you never have to move it ) and you may be surprised at what sawyers sometimes have - trees that aren't common that people planted next to a farm pond or stream and flourished until one of your infamous wind storms was too strong.

North Dakota postal code: 58579

Company Name: Prairie Dog Sawmill
                    Services Offered: Sawing
                    Company Contact: Mark Mathys
                    Address: 114 5th Street So Wilton North Dakota 58579
                    Phone: 701-734-6551
                    Fax:
                    Email This Company
                    Directory ID Number: 1223
                    Description: Portable bandsaw mill. Will cut at your place or mine.
                    Last edited by arbarnhart; 04-07-2006, 02:53 PM.
                    -Andy

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X