Panda Bear assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panda Bear assistance

I have a Panda intarsia pattern that I want to begin working on. On the panda bear, one area requires a white wood. What can I do to find this type of wood. Can I buy this or will I have to stain. Please let me know. As you know, the panda has a white face and tummy. Any ideas? regards.

Aspen, maple or basswood (lime) are usually good selections for white colors. I don't know where you'd buy them from, but if you ask at a local lumber yard...

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

i use aspen for my white wood. Readily available at Menards or Home Depot

Comment

I did a project recently (see my gallery) with white wood (aspen was recommended) but could not find it locally. I substituted a real white poplar. Very satisfied with results. To date I am not a fan of staining wood. I like to get close to the natural color with the wood and use a clear non yellowing finish. I used 3 coats of Varathane Crystal Clear Satin Diamond Wood Finish. Looking forward to seeing that panda.
        Bob
        Scrolling satisfies the passion for intricate creativity. My saw is an Excalibur EX21.

Comment

Thank you all for the great ideas. I will go to the wood store this weekend and buy. Thanks again.

Comment

I live in Orange County in California and last night I took my daughter shopping and I suddenly found a wood store. I stopped and oh my, they have every type of wood from 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 in thickness along with every type of wood working tool imaginable. I am in heaven. I found Maple and other woods that covered every color I would ever need. Anyone in my area needs this info, let me know and I will tell you the location. Regards

Comment

Poplar

I use a LOT of poplar for scrolling. You will like it for the white wood for intarsia but be sure to select a piece that doesn't have a lot of heart wood in it. Poplar tends to have colors in the heart wood ranging from green to brown to purple. It stains well but it's really hard to find a whole board that is really white. Good stuff though.
              If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

For a panda, you want really white, not just light colored. Holly is the only thing that comes to mind, but it can be kinda pricey. I used cypress with pickling white stain for the horse in my gallery.
                Attached Files
                -Andy

Comment

Originally posted by KLD2246
                  I live in Orange County in California and last night I took my daughter shopping and I suddenly found a wood store. I stopped and oh my, they have every type of wood from 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 in thickness along with every type of wood working tool imaginable. I am in heaven. I found Maple and other woods that covered every color I would ever need. Anyone in my area needs this info, let me know and I will tell you the location. Regards
                  yes I would like to know the store you have found. the name and address. I live not to far from Orange County. thanks in advance. your friend Evie
                  PS.... OH BOY OH BOY.

Comment

KLD,
                    I'd like the name and address of the wonderful wood store too. I live quite a ways from OC, but I could always plan to go there (wood store) for a vacation.
                    Sandy

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• alexscrollsaw
                      It is so cute (Christmas deer)
                      by alexscrollsaw
                      "It is so cute" - it is the first what I hear when I show this project. I haven’t done 3D patterns for a long time (about a year), it’s quite difficult and takes a long time. But I don’t regret the time I spent on this new pattern - Christmas deer, I think it turned out great. It is...
                      Today, 02:03 PM
                    • markdavd
                      Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                      by markdavd
                      I've been using the bags from Amazon and a heat gun my wife bought when she was a preschool teacher. Unless you are wrapping of small parts, you don't need a sealer. Just fold it over and hold it with a small piece of scotch tape on the back. After you shrink it it's sealed enough to keep everything...
                      Today, 09:45 AM
                    • NC Scroller
                      by NC Scroller
                      My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
                      Today, 07:42 AM
                    • will8989
                      by will8989
                      None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                      Today, 12:20 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                      The bags seem easier on the surface.
                      But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                      Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                    Working...
                    X